Steve's first knife

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My son-in-law Steve has the knife making bug bad.
This is his first knife. Forged in an atlas forge and ground on the TW-90. He did 90% of all the work. I am really proud of him. He is a good listener, asks questions, and knows when to back away and reconside something. He has been forging up a storm at his new shop starting lots of blades and useful objects ( like tongs) to get his skills honed. He will be joining us here as a member soon. This Sunday we will start on a sheath. He even cracked a smile over this knife.

Blade - 1084
Handle - stabilized curly maple
Corby bolt fasteners

IMG_20180712_194706.jpg IMG_20180712_194907.jpg IMG_20180712_194702.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_194824.jpg
    IMG_20180712_194824.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20180712_194829.jpg
    IMG_20180712_194829.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
A fine first knife indeed! He has been safely guided past the dangers of the "block handles" and "axe bevel"!

Yes, we let the handle start that way and discussed the "blocky" look and how it is the normal first handle. Then we ovaled it, and it was better. Then we made the oval into a slight egg shape and it improved more. Last, we thinned it a bit more and added a little taper at the butt. The whole time I would point out that he could take more off later, but couldn't put any back on.

The bevel is a FFG with a 30 degree (inclusive) secondary bevel and a 20 degree (inclusive) microbevel. It is SHARP. We took it to a near zero edge before the secondary.

Welcome to Shop Talk, Steve. The stickys has a wealth of info, and the folks here are very helpful.
The custom search engine in the Stickys will find old threads on almost any topic. Check the date of the old thread before posting on it, as asking a question on a 7 year old thread may not get much response. We call resurrecting old threads necroposting.

That's my standard new member greeting. :)

After being somewhat active here for the past to years I have learned a lot. I have especially learned that there are a lot of things that I don't know. Welcome and I hope you get as much out of this forum as I do.

Truly appreciative of all the support, knowledge and patience from Stacy in helping me learn this new craft. Looking so forward to a lifetime of enjoyment with my new found passion! Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement. Cheers ~ Steve

Welcome Steve!

Oooh, nice! Nice design, nice finish!

Who designed it?

He just forged the 1.25X1/8" bar of 1084 provided with every new Atlas forge into a basic hunting/utility knife. I suggested we keep it simple for his first balde. The slight curve was part of the lesson in making a knife less "stiff" and more organic.

He picked the wood from one of my boxes of hande blocks.

His biggest surprise was discovering how easy forging is .... when you let the bar get up to forging temp. Steel between 1800F and 2100F is very soft and malleable. Steel between 1300F and 1700F looks hot, but won't move much under the hammer.

So great Stacy and Steve--Steve is evidence your daughter picked a good man! Welcome to the passion Steve!!

Steve is evidence your daughter picked a good man!
Steve is actually my former daughter-in-law's new husband.

Lola was married to my son Chris. They divorced, but remained good friends. They were on and off about getting back together for years after the divorce. We all stayed close. Chris passed away a few years ago, but Lola is still family to me (and the mother of two of my grandchildren).

Lola married Steven a couple years ago. They are made for each other. Steve and I hit it off well from the beginning, but once he got around my smithy and saw some knives, he was bit by the bug.

I call Lola my Daughter-in-law … because she was (but in many ways is more like a daughter) … so DIL she is
I call Steve my Son-in-law because he is married to my grandkids mother … so SIL he is.
Simple titles are usually the best way to deal with extended family.

Stacy, I’m sure there is a lot in this story, but impressed at how you’ve imbraced steve. My hat is off to you.

Good deal. Stacy we just call em clans, ya should know that lad.

Aye well there ya are, ya ken! Wha's like us...……?

Steve is evidence your daughter picked a good man!
Steve is actually my former daughter-in-law's new husband.

Lola was married to my son Chris. They divorced, but remained good friends. They were on and off about getting back together for years after the divorce. We all stayed close. Chris passed away a few years ago, but Lola is still family to me (and the mother of two of my grandchildren).

Lola married Steven a couple years ago. They are made for each other. Steve and I hit it off well from the beginning, but once he got around my smithy and saw some knives, he was bit by the bug.

I call Lola my Daughter-in-law … because she was (but in many ways is more like a daughter) … so DIL she is
I call Steve my Son-in-law because he is married to my grandkids mother … so SIL he is.
Simple titles are usually the best way to deal with extended family.
My daughter dated fellow for 3.5 years...he was part of the family...didn't work out between the two of them. She has a new guy who is perfect for her and they are engaged. I'm happy for her, but I also still hang out with her ex on a regular basis too. Good guy, good teacher, one day I will hire him to work at my school. She teases me that I am dating her ex now! It all works quite nicely.

Back