Stiff and hard to open surge

I recently just bought a surge and it seems to be out of spec or binding. It is very hard to open up pliers and the even harder to fold it back up. I know its still new and have been opening and closing over and over to loosen things up. I actually want to say it has gotten worse not better. Its a real bear....do i..keep it and hope things get better or send her back? Are surges stiff like this. My only comparison is a wingman and that is buttery smooth.

I have had mine three years... oiled it... worked it... and it still functions the way you described yours. It is one of my complaints with the surge. Secondly, the tools have proven to be "soft" for me in normal use. (That is really not related to "tightness" but wanted to mention it.) I am going to subscribe to this thread because maybe someone has found a "fix" for this... but mine is just like yours after 3 years of use on the farm. Still a great tool tho!

I've had my Surge for four tears and use it daily. It is still very stiff opening/closing, but given the choice of tight or loose I'll take tight over loose any time.

Sorry to hear that. Many LM pliers have been plagued with binding problems in recent years, and I have seen it across few different models I owned(not just Surge).

If the case is not too serious, it could be loosen back up with lube and working it back and forth, but otherwise it may need warranty service to free it up again.

To know whether your pliers may have the binding issue, just close the pliers and give it a light to firm handshake(don't squeeze hard, or it may really bind). If it starts to bind, you could still loosen it by some elbow grease, but if the problem becomes severe, you either live with it or send it back for warranty.

Back