Still looking for a mini axe

I tried to order one from a place in Tenn, and they refunded my money and told me there was no backorder available.
I like it and hope to get one.

Why not get a Vaughan? Made in USA of 1080 steel. Their mini is no longer listed on their website but is still available from some retailers like amazon. And Vaughan still sells their oyster hatchet which is slightly heavier than the mini. I like the oyster hatchet better.

What are you cutting at the range?

How bout a little barrel hatchet?
A5744-FC8-865-B-4-FCF-A008-1-B98-B2-EDD024.jpg

E6-F1-E845-1657-45-AB-916-D-7-FA1529-E698-D.jpg

Last edited:
I second the Vaughn. The oyster hatchet seems pretty useful. I have a Vaughn sub zero. It's so small my girlfriend thinks it's cute. Not the best grind, however the steel is good. I use it for pruning new shoots on trees and carving. I imagine it would be great for small game processing though I haven't used it for that. I'd like to try a tomahawk, the longer handles seem like it would be clutch. Good luck with your quest

I’m still looking for a mini axe for small task to the Shooting range.
What do you think of this one?
https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com/mr465-marbles-micro-hache-xml-1750_900_1798-35758.html

are you in france?
i used the page translator for the website you posted a link to and the description of the hatchet said that the cutting edge is 2cm??? is that right? 2cm is less than one inch. thats teeny tiny. what would you do with that?

Walter from Quebec used to make an axe called the midget. you might be able to find one on ebay.

are you in france?
i used the page translator for the website you posted a link to and the description of the hatchet said that the cutting edge is 2cm??? is that right? 2cm is less than one inch. thats teeny tiny. what would you do with that?

Walter from Quebec used to make an axe called the midget. you might be able to find one on ebay.

mr465_inhand.jpg

It’s looks bigger on this vidéo...
Thanks!
I’m going to try to find this axe from Québec....

Why not get a Vaughan? Made in USA of 1080 steel. Their mini is no longer listed on their website but is still available from some retailers like amazon. And Vaughan still sells their oyster hatchet which is slightly heavier than the mini. I like the oyster hatchet better.

What are you cutting at the range?
I miss some post sorry for that....
My problem is having it in france, but this oyster looks perfect for my job.
I have always to cut something from tree branchs to wooden palet for mounting IPSC stages.
I have a winkler Hunter but it cut less than nothing (i ´m very desapointed) so I’m looking for something less expensive.

Wow what was that about 500 to find out full tang hatchets suck?Sater banko made little hatchets might be easier in europe to look at swedes.

I am thinking more and more this small axe aspect is an interesting angle needing more attention when it comes, in particular, to woodworking especially beyond bushwhacking. In France you are well situated in fact, maybe nowhere else is the range of forms - to include sizes - so broad. Shops, markets and of course internet exchanges should offer you so many options it's hard to believe. I know it from experience.

I've always been concerned about the fat eye size and what it does to the geometry of the axe. I think it makes them poor choppers.

From what I understand it's intended as a hunter's axe so so it's intended to be used more like a cleaver for game processing. But yeah, it's StoopidThick™ for most work in my opinion.

I have seen an acquaintance of mine, Simon Luquet, blacksmith of the Jura out in Munster is, perhaps with tung a bit in his cheek, experimenting with a small axe even calling it "la hache à saucisson". Personally I can see the idea perused with even more earnestness could lead to interesting results. You can look him up yourself at La Maison Luquet.

Back