Stock removal articles?

black mariah

Banned
Does anyone have links to some good articles/tutorials on stock removal knifemaking? I realise that it's most trial and error, but I'd like to have as little error as possible. :D I'm unclear on some of the methods and I'd prefer to have an idea what I'm doing before I start. Thanks for any help.

I am afraid that I do not have any links to suggest. The best advice that I got here was to start with wood. This was a cheap and easy way to practice. Easy on the belts, if you are using a belt grinder or quick work with a file. Either way very good practice. After alot of wood I went and did a few pieces of mild steel. Cheap but with a better feel of what it was like to work with a tougher material. I think that it has saved me some money on messing up a good piece of steel tying to figure out wat happened if I twisted the metal this way or that while grinding. Hope this is of some help.

Try this:

http://www.brisa.fi/

choose English as language

At the left, scroll down till 'work instructions'

click 'stock removal, damascus'

hope this helps.

Okay, looking at the link deviant11 posted it looks as if the guy in the picture is keeping the spine of the blade perpendicular to the grinder while he's grinding the blade section. Is this the normal method or is it just for the pictures?

Thanks for the links, BTW. Definite bookmark material there. :D

He's grinding the blade to shape(the profile) not the bevels to make it sharp. SO yes, in this, perpindicular is right.

I learned the stock removal method from the book HOW TO MAKE KNIVES by Richard W. Barney, and Robert W. Loveless. I think the book is still in print. Loveless tells how he tapers tangs, grinds his blades, etc. There is also a good section on sheath making. The book also has a forging section by Bill Moran. I feel this book is must reading for any beginning knifemaker. Tom Lewis

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be sure to pick up that book. Even my newbie self knows the names Loveless and Moran. :D

Back