Stomper named this knife wrong !

This knife from Stomper is called a Hiker plus or something but to me a better name would be Stompers Basic Survival Knife, the reason being is that IMO this is a definitive survival knife !!!

A hiker knife would IMO be a lightweight necker type or even a Mora but this is one hell of a sturdy knife !!!!!

How do we define a survival knife, I know we have tried before and the term Bushcraft and Survival tend to get confusing !!!!

I believe that a bushcraft knife should be of fairly thin stock and should ideally be accompanied by an axe for the heavier work. A Survival knife, however, should be a sturdier animal yet still of a reasonable size that we don't mind carrying it at al times. A survival knife may be called upon to be used as a hatchet, hammer, piton, ice pick,splitting wedge, froe or foothold so to had to be of good strength and somewhat of a compomise. A thinner bushcraft knife will usually cut better and larger knife chop better but this is the best all rounder and this is what I believe Stomper has made here !!!

I have included a pic with what I consider to be another great survival knife my Swamprat RMD, you will notice they are both very similar in dimensions although I think Stompers is the prettier of the two !!!

P1100003.jpg

P1100002.jpg

P1100001.jpg

P1100004.jpg

Thanks again John this knife is awesome and is gonna see lots of use !!!;):thumbup:

Pit or John, what are the specs on this, basically I just want to know blade length and height, stock thickness and OAL. Thanks. Approximate values are fine too.

Pit or John, what are the specs on this, basically I just want to know blade length and height, stock thickness and OAL. Thanks. Approximate values are fine too.

It is about 9 3/4" oal, 5 1/8" blade, about 1 1/4" tall, and 3/16"thick stock.

Back