Stone recommendations wanted

I have the KME system with pretty much ALL of the extras including all the chosera stones. I love it but I hate having to bust everything out and usually end up on my spyderco sharpmaker for speed.

So, I'd like a good set of stones. I picked up some water stones on Amazon to practice and my peramillitary 2 is scary sharp! So I'd like a good set of stones. Stones that can handle HARD steels, last a long time, 8x2, and low enough to re profile up to shaving sharp. Figured it had to be cheaper than the wicked edge I've been eyeing forever.

If breaking out the KME is a pain in the butt, the wicked edge won't be any better. When I set up either the KME or Wicked Edge, I'll leave it out for a while.
It makes it convenient to use instead of having to bust it out every time I need to touch up a blade. My shop area is not accessible from the house so I keep the sharpening system in the house.

Yup! That's why I want a good set of stones. But I can't make up my mind. I was going to get some Arkansas stones but figured the harder steels would be a pain! So diamond? Shapton? Water stones?

Just use the KME.
Jig sharpening is worth a little time to set up.
Failing that . . . and I admit to taking a blade to a stone or a stone to a blade occasionally free hand . . . just use the stones from the KME.
LINK > > > to photos page down.

No1, I did set up a gadget years back and it was a pain. So, I know what your talking about. Plus, their is no way my wife would let me sharpen in the house. So, I would do it in my shop or on nice days on the front porch. After you learn to freehand you won't go back to a gadget. There is a learning curve. But the setup is so simple. Just get your stone out put it on a level area, put a little oil or water on it and take off sharpening. I would start with a simple stone like a Norton IB-8 in 2X8". This has a coarse & fine side and with a light touch a blade coming off
the fine side can slice paper. You can get some wedges to assist in holding a consistent angle or make them out of wood. And you'll need some
mineral oil. That's all. This stone runs 28-30$ to your door. A bottle of mineral oil is 3$ at ACE Hardware or Wally. Then read some articles, watch videos and practice. Good luck, DM

My problem is this this.

Would like Arkansas stones from Dan's. Why? Because thier cool... lol but I'm not sure about flattinf them? I have no problem with flattening water stones but dont know anything about natural stones.

So I'm looking at the Nortons water stones it's like $130 it comes with a lapping stone, but from what I read it's not flat.

So then I start looking at the spyderco stones because I love my sharpmaker, but they dont come flat according to Amazon reviews..

So frustrating lol any ideas?

This norton stone that David Martin recommends is one of best for money,you can get very good edge off of it on any steel.

After you learn to freehand you won't go back to a gadget.
I did.
I did.
Depends what quality of edge one likes.
I was free handing last night with a crystolon 100grit Gritomatic. A new stone I will use in the Edge Pro. I didn't want to make noise while The Chef was sleeping (clack, clack, . . . clack , clack of the Edge Pro) plus the silly assed factory edge geometry of my brand new Cold Steel Ranch Boss demanded hand touch up since one bevel of the blade is about 12° and the other bevel is like 25° or 30° ! ! ! ? ? ?o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
The blade is S35VN.
Nah dude, nah
I was raising little burs and taking them off and it never really got more than satisfactory. I am positive the Edge Pro would have made me smile if I had used it even if BOTH bevels had been at 25°.
I know better.

Last edited:
Good water stones? I love Shapton and Chosera, also have a "green brick of joy" (can't remember the name but a google on that will do ya, it's a very thick 2k stone)
Mostly Shapton on the glass, except for a pro220 for profiling.

OH, and flattening? get a diamond plate. DMT has a 300/1000 double-sided, rub it until you take off the pencil marks. Important to have a flat stone.

David's recommendation of a Norton combo to start is a solid choice ... inexpensive and works well ... I would second his recommendation ...

if you want to move up later Shapton Glass are my favorites for most knives ...

the "Green Brick of Joy” is the 2k Aotoshi from Naniwa and has great feel but depending on what steel you want to sharpen has its limitations ...

Chosera Pros are nice whet stones ... but again if you want to get into the super steels youll need something more ...

DMT Diamond in the Polka Dot Pattern were what I found worked best for me on the harder steels ...

for flattening I use an Atoma diamond some prefer CBN for lapping stones ... both work.

And I think alot of the guided systems can make the learning curve easier and more repeatable ... but there is something about being able to grab a couple stones and water or oil and just sit down anywhere and sharpen your knives ... a certain satisfaction in it at least for me.

Back