Storing benchmade knives 2 yrs+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i should explain myself before being shunned from the forums. i'm not just trying to let my benchmades rot for 2 years. i am a Mormon (yes those suit and tie on a bike annoying Mormons) and i have decided to serve a mission, i have been called to the Cincinnati Ohio mission and i leave december 2nd. well for the 2 years i will be on this mission i will not be able to have my knives with me so i have decided to open the question to the floor: how should i store my benchmade knives if they will not be touched for 2 years, i don't want to come back to find 20 rusty omega springs and tarnished blades. how should i keep these knives so they stay like new?

Thanks for your input, Rob.

Coat the blades and metal parts with Break-Free "Collector" Not the CLP but the Collector. It's not a lubricant but a preservative. It's designed to provide long term storage for firearms in armories and is very suitable for knives.

It's what I use on my guns and knives that are in storage. Coat and leave wet in a suitable air tight container that won't allow in any moisture. I'd add a few desiccant packs also.

In the past I've also used just Break-Free CLP. Saturated my firearms and knives in Break-Free CLP, Wrapped in a cloth and stored in an air tight container. That worked very well also but the Collector wasn't available at the time.

Best of luck!

First off, congratulations and good luck on your mission. 2 things you can do. Send them to me. I will take good care of them, lol. Or let another member take care of the knives in your absence this may not work, watch the RM again You can also can also coat the blades in OX-ID "A" special. You get this cheap on ebay. We used to call it "cosmoline" in the military. I promise no rust when you return and easily removed. You might also take some on your mission as I put on on all my threads to prevent corrosion, ie your bike, lights etc when you can't drive anymore. Anyway, I hope this helps, Brother Elder. Good luck.

Coat the blades and metal parts with Break-Free "Collector" Not the CLP but the Collector. It's not a lubricant but a preservative. It's designed to provide long term storage for firearms in armories and is very suitable for knives.

It's what I use on my guns and knives that are in storage. Coat and leave wet in a suitable air tight container that won't allow in any moisture. I'd add a few desiccant packs also.

In the past I've also used just Break-Free CLP. Saturated my firearms and knives in Break-Free CLP, Wrapped in a cloth and stored in an air tight container. That worked very well also but the Collector wasn't available at the time.

Best of luck!
Good suggestions

Dark, cool, humidity controlled area. Same as keeping antiques. So center of house. I don't recommend an airtight container unless someone can and will replace the packs when they reach their absorption limit. The thing that I think should be stressed here is that air tight containers is that changes in temperature in a closed area completely negates desiccants. Mainly, wash well and make sure there are no salts on the surface, dry well and store in a location with stable temperature.

Eezox will do the job, as will a wax like Renaissance Wax or something similar.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, i'm currently shopping around for a good coating that will stand the test of time.
- Rob

Vacuum seal them in food saver bags. All the air is vacuumed out and no moisture will permanent the bags.

Vacuum seal them in food saver bags. All the air is vacuumed out and no moisture will permanent the bags.

He reported to the MTC on December 2nd, so he probably won't see your response until sometime in December of 2017, most likely. Hope he got things figured out!

OP, congrats on serving! My mission (Michigan Detroit Mission) was the hardest yet best two years of my life, to date. I hope it was the same for you!

Don't sweat it. No special procedures are necessary for only two years storage for normal modern knives. Probably nothing needed for twenty years storage as long as the knives are kept dry and away from corrosives. Every knife is not a collector's item that needs perfect humidity, protective coatings, etc. Standard good quality stainless knives can handle most decent storage conditions long term. I just keep knives in their original boxes or Ziplock baggies if I don't have the boxes. Some of them are up to forty years old and still look like they did when put away. If you live around the tropics or tropical coastal areas with the salt and humidity, more precautions like those mentioned are needed.

For long storage, service the knives, oil/grease the pivots etc and ensure they are clean oiled and dry. Then put in a suitable airtight pelican case. If this setup is good for my camera gear it will be good enough for knives too. For knives that comes with leather sheath, keep is separately.

All the best in serving your mission .

Coat and leave wet in a suitable air tight container that won't allow in any moisture. I'd add a few desiccant packs also.

Great minds think alike ;)

I’ve had zero rust issues using this storage method.. I remove my desiccant packs about 2/3 times a year and de-moisturize them in the oven.. My larger fixed blades are lightly coated with mineral oil and loosely placed within my hunting safe - no rust issues there either..

AB5C1690-3E0D-45F4-8189-173383CBD366_zpstv2p5ous.jpg

CE44E7EC-A902-4D99-A640-B98DCEEA566C_zpsicho5crb.jpg

D8BFDA5E-432E-46D4-9347-82B13E63EE9B_zpst2wfdfqa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back