Storing Kitchen knives

eisman

Gold Member
I'm not concerned with long term "collectable" storage, but with how you guys keep the ones you use handy.

I have never been a fan of wooden blocks; they have too many knives to get the one you want in a hurry, they have places for knives you don't use, they don't have the correct size lots for the ones you do use, and they tend to be unsanitary (take an old block apart sometime).

Neither can I see using "rolls" to put them in every day. I don't have the space or the inclination.

I recently picked up a magnetic bar, but I wonder if it may impart a magnitism to the blade. Still, it's very handy, covered in silicon so it's easy to clean, and keeps the knives up off the counter.

My other way is to keep them in a drawer, but I'm finding that's not totally ideal either, especially since I now have more than would normally fit (without laying them atop each other).

I've been considering building some inserts for the drawer(s) to hold them, but that will have to wait until the next move. Needless to say I'd be interested in what works for you.

Below is a pic of pretty much every type of storage system I can think of and how much space each takes up, if anyone can think of one I missed feel free to add. Below the pic is what I feel are pros and cons of each system:

IMG_0403_zpsc714edff.jpg

-Starting on the left is the mag rack: Great system, displays the knives well and very easy access, you mentioned magnetism, although they may become slightly magnetized I have never known it to be a safety hazard...all my beaters at work have been on a mag rack for years with no issues. One drawback I am currently thinking about is as my kids get older they are getting more rowdy and I fear a ball may get thrown or something or someone bumping the knives and getting hurt. The other drawback is the amount of space it takes up. If you have the wall space it works great, if not it only holds 4 ish knives. You can always add more racks, but having your walls lined with knives runs the risk of people thinking you are crazy.

-Next is a wood sheath, I like these for transporting knives, but are more difficult to get at the knife and you still need a drawer or place to put them, if they are in a drawer it can quickly become disorganized and trash the handles.

-Leather sheath, same as the wood, great for transporting, but issues with easy access.

-In drawer holder, good to an extent, you mentioned possible sanitation issues with a block, the same may exist with this system although I have never had any issues. I don't like the blades stored on their edges but its not a bad option if you don't have counter top space. Even still, this only holds 4 or 5 knives at best and your taller knives will not fit.

-The knife block, still the best bang for the buck in terms of holding overall quantity of knives. Often they are argued to take up too much space, but in knife per inch ratio they are the best. Possible sanitation issues do exist, but...because many of my knives are carbon I clean and completely dry prior to putting my knives back. This also provides easy access. If you end up with this system, make sure you have horizontal slots instead of vertical, or if you have vertical make sure to store them with the spine down.

-On the top is a knife roll, unrolled it takes up as much space as all other systems combined. Great for transport as long as you are protecting your edges, but in home use its not really feasible.

-I have seen a under counter swivel holder made by Wustoff that looks pretty cool as well as numerous vertical blocks that look great.

I ended up using each system depending on the space I am working in.

Good luck in picking one.

Jeebus!!! did you have to hack out the hole that used to be for the steel to make room for that new one? :D

Jeebus!!! did you have to hack out the hole that used to be for the steel to make room for that new one? :D

Lol, actually yes I did. I told you I had to modify my block. Added some felt bumpers too because it was 10 mm to long.

I am looking for a bunch more cocobolo or walnut to make my own block, but that is a few months away still.

An older friend of mine mentioned that in the British Isles they have deep ceramic jars filled with sand and they plunge the knives into the sand when they are not in use. She claims that the sand also helps keep the blades sharp. She was looking for one of these jars for her home.
I hadn't heard of that and I wonder if any of you are familiar with that method?

We've used magnetic bars at home for many years with never a problem of magnetizing the knives. Not the prettiest arrangement, but very efficient and sanitary.

KitKniv.jpg

An older friend of mine mentioned that in the British Isles they have deep ceramic jars filled with sand and they plunge the knives into the sand when they are not in use. She claims that the sand also helps keep the blades sharp. She was looking for one of these jars for her home.
I hadn't heard of that and I wonder if any of you are familiar with that method?

That is pretty interesting and not a bad idea. It would be cool to find a pic of one. I am looking at getting rid of my mag racks and getting something more "kid" friendly.

That is pretty interesting and not a bad idea. It would be cool to find a pic of one. I am looking at getting rid of my mag racks and getting something more "kid" friendly.

you wouldn't want to plunge a knife into sand, it will dull the blade and scratch the knife. IMO: it sounds like a bad idea which is done by someone who doesn't know much about knives, edges, or the materials used.

for my general use knives, i use a kapoosh knife block. it's made up of thousands of plastic rods and it allows you to stick pretty much any knife in, in any direction.

Kapoosh-Knife-Block.jpg

Last edited:
Back