STR-EK/Tidioute Electricians Folder

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
The STR-EK was designed to bring all the same things to the table as its larger predecessor , electricians folding knives, and more. What I wanted was a pocket-worthy folder; something very much pocket-sized and not something big and bulky that couldn’t be added to the EDC line-up. The old 29 models of yesteryear were huge and, depending on handle material, could weigh upwards of 5 oz. Most were famous for being nail breakers upon opening due to heavy back spring pressure and draw. This excess stiffness, as well as large size and pocket damaging protrusions, are a drawback to an otherwise great model. The STR-EK does away with those annoying issues.

Classic fans of the original are already referring to this as the “STREK” folder. Its weight is no more than 2.7 oz per folder. The handles on all are green linen micarta but offers a choice on the blade: sheep’s foot or spear point. The original EK has a flat head screw driver small enough to fit electrical outlets as well as screws used on license plates. Unlike the old EK, the STREK driver is equipped with a push-cut saw that can cut drywall or wood panels. With the cut on the push it decreases the mess seen when installing outlets; most of the mess goes inside the wall. Simply put, push cut is much neater and also easier to control for straight cuts where appearance is a factor. The addition of the saw is not a drawback to use, nor does it cut your hand in use as it is primarily a sheet rock saw. It can be used for other small sawing projects in a pinch and you’ll be glad to have it handy. The driver/saw blade has 2 wire strippers in both choils, the half-moon shaped finger rests of the blade. Just because it has a saw will not negate nor diminish the other features. These choil rest areas double as both a stripper and a choil/index rest and are effectively tapered to an edge to strip wire quite well. The STR-EK is a Bill Howard/Steve Rice collaboration purposefully built on the #15 frame that is 3and 3/8” long when closed. While supplies last, it is available here as well as Great Eastern Cutlery dealers as the “Titioute Electricians Knife”.
Quite simply these are the best electricians knives ever offered to the public. If you do any residential install work and make any kind of living with a drywall saw and a screwdriver, you owe it to yourself to get one of these. Write it off taxes as a business expense, put it in your pocket and one day you’ll be thanking me when a project arises where this tool saves the day or saves you a lot of steps back to your toolbox to find the right tool.
I came up with this design as youngster and had physically modified several knives trying to create this with existing knives. Even at a young age, when working as a plumber’s helper, I thought that it would be handy to have a drywall saw to carry in my pocket. As the plumber’s helper even I had to cut drywall a few times around pipes, vents, light fixtures, etc. poking through walls, floors and ceilings. It always puzzled me, and irritated me since I was the one doing all the running, as to why a saw was not included on an electrician’s folder! The electricians knife is my most used and abused knife pattern and the design is as much for contractors as well as electricians. This is a darn handy little folder, extremely well made by GEC. Only a limited number have been produced. The picture shows 2 knives just so you can see the different blade shapes. The cost is $90 per knife. If interested I advise you purchase now as they may not ever be available again and certainly will not be offer ever again in green linen micarta. Please see my videos of this model in action on Youtube.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/435806-Electrician-Knife-Pattern-Research
STR

Attachments

• str EK spear 20131.jpg
    str EK spear 20131.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 178
  • 15-STR-ELECTRICIAN-KNIFE-GREEN-MICARTA.jpg
    15-STR-ELECTRICIAN-KNIFE-GREEN-MICARTA.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 235
  • GEC adjusted tip 1.jpg
    GEC adjusted tip 1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 135
  • GEC adjusted tip.jpg
    GEC adjusted tip.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 146
  • STREK Sheepfoot drawing.jpg
    STREK Sheepfoot drawing.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Where will these available?

I saw the photo's of the blanks.

Ebony?

Where will these available?

I saw the photo's of the blanks.

Ebony?

I will have 150 but keeping ten, five of each blade shape for myself. Then Bill will offer probably at least that many after mine and I don't know what he'll use for handles on his. As I said above, mine are green linen.

Here are the first proto-types for each blade. This in my mind is going to be like a prybar and a screwdriver, just like the mini ti pry offers and its a knife as well as a saw instead of the other tool I found worthless for anything I ever really needed, and my most used model was the old Camillus 27 which I never hesitated to modify about like this soon after getting. Once done it worked even if it got really used or messed up even but the others were just pocket jewelry really and I wanted a user. A real world get after it user. These are going to be nice even if they flop. They'll just be the nicest most pocketable version of the electricians model ever made available to the public by a manufacture even if they fall flat for sales. We'll just have to see. Being smaller in scale than even the 27 but still chunky it will work hard and being stainless its not going to fold or bend as easy. Also, due to the smaller foot print, and the lanyard sleeve as opposed to a bail it will carry a lot better in the pocket. Lastly we refined the blade that locks to have a push cut saw for easier use around walls of wood and or sheet rock or wafer board. We thought push cut was the better option for not fraying the work on the outside if you were working on a wall box or something like that. In the end it works very well actually as a push cut saw and really gets after it fast. I imagine it saving someone carrying a trip to the truck due to the saw built in. I know there were times it came in handy for me when I was working in the contracting and building and plumbing field. So there you have it guys. My STR work knife done my way. I hope it pleases at least 290 select individuals out there. Dear Lord let us pray!.... Kidding. Thanks guys

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/gallery/15-steve-rice-sfo-electrician-knife-2/

To say that I'm excited about this knife is a huuuuge understatement.

Thanks for making it and if you make a list please put me down for a couple spearpoints!

To say that I'm excited about this knife is a huuuuge understatement.

Thanks for making it and if you make a list please put me down for a couple spearpoints!

Greg email me at STR@bladeforums.com so I can move your email and what you want into my folder for reserving folks. Thanks I needed to hear that.

Intriguing to say the least Steve, so glad other folks are getting into the SFO business.
What is the closed length going to be on this tiger? You mention smaller than the Camillus 27, but not how much smaller.
Excited...this may give me a reason to put the Camillus knives that have been waiting for new scales in the toolbox to bed for good, well maybe just until next year.
Oh, and you say these will be 440c? Both the main blade and the saw?
Thanks,
Russel

Intriguing to say the least Steve, so glad other folks are getting into the SFO business.
What is the closed length going to be on this tiger? You mention smaller than the Camillus 27, but not how much smaller.
Excited...this may give me a reason to put the Camillus knives that have been waiting for new scales in the toolbox to bed for good, well maybe just until next year.
Oh, and you say these will be 440c? Both the main blade and the saw?
Thanks,
Russel

No should be 1095 on this run. Thats what it supposed to be. I would be upset at 440C so hope not. :D I like the patina. Instead of 3 and 5/8" closed its 3 and 3/8" and just rides much more invisible in the pocket in this size without the bail or extra weight the extra brings. Its not much but as you know small can be big in a folder and as it turns out this size is not giving up much for blade cutting just a little less bulk for overall footprint. This and the lack of a bail, and a slightly thinner more trimmed down profile should make for a real pocket friendly worker or at least that is my hope.

No should be 1095 on this run. T

Ah, I saw 'stainless' in the post above...ass-umed 'blade' not liners...all is good, very happy with 1095. Would you add me to your list please, one sheepsfoot blade model. Cool :thumbup:

Ah, I saw 'stainless' in the post above...ass-umed 'blade' not liners...all is good, very happy with 1095. Would you add me to your list please, one sheepsfoot blade model. Cool :thumbup:

Got ya and if you do contact me email please be sure I have your real name associated with the screen name so I'm not doubling up on you guys. Not that its an issue. Thanks
STR

Just sent you an email (With my real name, Darryl) asking for a sheepsfoot green micarta. I suppose I don't really need to post here after having emailed you, but it's like Christmas ya know?:) I've never actually have a sheepsfoot main blade on a knife before so this will be interesting. Maybe I'll get a spearpoint later in ebony. Maybe. Just the sheepsfoot in micarta for now though. As I mentioned in the email I'm in Canada but I'll pay whatever extra shipping charges there are by paypal or money order or cheque if need be if there's any concerns about shipping here. Or if need be I know some people on the forums can be found to buy it and ship it over if I have to do it that way (not arranging that much here, I know that's strictly for PMs:) )

Just sent you an email (With my real name, Darryl) asking for a sheepsfoot green micarta. I suppose I don't really need to post here after having emailed you, but it's like Christmas ya know?:) I've never actually have a sheepsfoot main blade on a knife before so this will be interesting. Maybe I'll get a spearpoint later in ebony. Maybe. Just the sheepsfoot in micarta for now though. As I mentioned in the email I'm in Canada but I'll pay whatever extra shipping charges there are by paypal or money order or cheque if need be if there's any concerns about shipping here. Or if need be I know some people on the forums can be found to buy it and ship it over if I have to do it that way (not arranging that much here, I know that's strictly for PMs:) )

Replied to your email. Thanks
STR

Wanted to preserve this while I could. :thumbup:;)

Attachments

• 15-STREK-OD-GREEN-LINE-MICARTA.jpg
    15-STREK-OD-GREEN-LINE-MICARTA.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 69
Video showing my new mini giant work horse folder built by GEC after being designed by myself and Bill Howard. $90 shipped and STR@bladeforums or any of my emails work for pay pal. $85 for ea additional when ordered with the first. All I have at this writing are the sheepsfoot blade models. The other half (spear points) have not arrived. Thanks guys for your interest in advance.
S

[video=youtube;xRd_at4ZEWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRd_at4ZEWo[/video]

Will you ship these to Canada? If yes, can you quote a price? Cheers and congrats on a very great build

Back