Straight Razor brand and model?

Recently I got interested into the straight razor.
Any recommendation on the traditional straight razor?

I see the price varies, any reason? e.g. handle material, etc.

cheers

cheers
Is your interest collecting, shaving, both?

I think handle material makes the biggest price difference.
If just shaving, heavier handle material could affect the balance of the razor and make for awkward, and therefore hazardous use.

Is your interest collecting, shaving, both?

I think handle material makes the biggest price difference.
If just shaving, heavier handle material could affect the balance of the razor and make for awkward, and therefore hazardous use.

Great insight ;) you get the point, mainly interest in collecting,;) for shaving sometimes, but not everyday use

Most of the cost of a more expensive razor is in the appearance. Scale material, blade decoration, etc.
If you look at Thiers-Issard, for example, the Damascus and Horn is over $1k while the basic black carbon steel and plastic scales is just over $100. They shave just the same.

If I were doing it again, I'd start with a basic plastic handled 6/8 and get just one really nice custom razor. Could have saved a lot of money.

I bought a pair of Thiers-Issard's years ago. Dropped one of them and broke it (which wounded my soul a little). Anyway, I still use the other one and it's been great.

EDIT: This is their Eagle Brand J86.

ACtC-3dA-LGRtBBOTRdl_vYE5EfK6_CfPmqxzGTemrgWPH3_buOrmeu_4DM4YpiA5M0GgzU22g185OW73HlqhkBMLrB38nhrDg8XdbR2Grh2w2I5P_98edy3sfwH1xzUJ0gOc52K40iPeRlHsxNHkOuVE6Yw=w1751-h1313-no

Last edited:

cheers
You can't possibly know what you will like until you try them and gain some skill in their use. Many different grinds and configurations out there and for a reason, we don't all like the same thing.
Personally I don't fool with new razors as I can pick up vintage ones much cheaper. Vintage razors from USA, Germany, Japan and England are all good.

Most of the cost of a more expensive razor is in the appearance. Scale material, blade decoration, etc.
If you look at Thiers-Issard, for example, the Damascus and Horn is over $1k while the basic black carbon steel and plastic scales is just over $100. They shave just the same.

If I were doing it again, I'd start with a basic plastic handled 6/8 and get just one really nice custom razor. Could have saved a lot of money.

Thanks for the experience and advice

As stated above, a new factory made model will cost you about $100. My recommendation is any Sheffield, Solingen, or French 19th century model will be a very good model. They will probably be carbon steel so will require care. Most will take and keep a nice edge.

Back