Straight razor VS shavette

Hello , when I say I’m old school , I mean it lol
Been shaving with a shavette (straight razor that has disposable half razor blades) for over 3 years now and love it , at last reached a point where I don’t cut my face in trillion places.
My reason for using it was I couldn’t afford a nice straight razor , today I received a gift an old USSR razor brand new in grease and box , took it out , treated it cleaned etc , have a try and I must say it felt sharper on the touch but in reality it was not a clean shave , had to pass multiple times on neck area to not leave patches , it was so bad I got back to my usual thing and shaved the other half and passed again on that half with a shavette to get a clean cut.

my question is is this common ? Or does it need sharpening ? It’s brand new never touched , with shavette I use brand new blade every time since they are so cheap (10$ for 100) and I achieve a super clean shave , like no matter which way you touch there is no hair at all.

A new razor is almost never going to be "shave ready." I have (too) many razors and I can only recall 2 or 3 that arrived with edges that were satisfactory. That said, straight razors don't really shave like a shavette, most people prefer proper straight razors for the comfort and skin-friendliness rather than for the closeness. It is possible to hone a straight razor to be keener than any shavette blade and get a closer shaver, but most straight razor users aren't looking for that.

A new razor is almost never going to be "shave ready." I have (too) many razors and I can only recall 2 or 3 that arrived with edges that were satisfactory. That said, straight razors don't really shave like a shavette, most people prefer proper straight razors for the comfort and skin-friendliness rather than for the closeness. It is possible to hone a straight razor to be keener than any shavette blade and get a closer shaver, but most straight razor users aren't looking for that.

How do I make mine that sharp , will stropping be enough or something else?

I've thought about getting a shavette to compare...
Can the blade be stropped while installed?

I've thought about getting a shavette to compare...
Can the blade be stropped while installed?
No, there isn't sufficient blade exposure to allow you hit the blade at a low enough angle. Also, I believe commercial blades rely on the teflon coating to improve the perceived sharpness and stropping will remove that much faster than just shaving.

Back