Strange collins axe

Hey all, I bought an axe head recently. Its stamped with the collins legitimus stamp and the hammer logo (stamp isn't in great shape) but I have never seen a collins with a wrapped eye. Does anyone have any info on it? It does have a crack in the poll, im curious what your suggestions would be for fixing it
OYrINB8.jpg
XmXpFef.jpg

Hey all, I bought an axe head recently. Its stamped with the collins legitimus stamp and the hammer logo (stamp isn't in great shape) but I have never seen a collins with a wrapped eye. Does anyone have any info on it? It does have a crack in the poll, im curious what your suggestions would be for fixing it
OYrINB8.jpg
XmXpFef.jpg
South America export model probably with inlaid bit. The distance from the bit to eye seems long. I would say, it is worn Media Labor pattern. Collins also produced De Tumba model, but my money is on Media Labor.

South America export model probably with inlaid bit. The distance from the bit to eye seems long. I would say, it is worn Media Labor pattern. Collins also produced De Tumba model, but my money is on Media Labor.

Any idea on the quality of it? Is it worth it to restore it or is it a more modern axe that isn't worth much?

Any idea on the quality of it? Is it worth it to restore it or is it a more modern axe that isn't worth much?
Assuming it has inlaid bit when it was brand new it was pretty good axe. It has been used a lot. Even if you weld the back, it still has worn toe. It is hard to see the stamps, but it was probably made between 1920ies and 1940ies
1_ccf33df4ce058e169cc0eb2c6a80b449.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-collins-legitimus-trade-axe-2048943118

Funny thing is, Truper in Mexico offers brand new Media Labor axes with already worn out toes :)
13806.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming it has inlaid bit when it was brand new it was pretty good axe. It has been used a lot. Even if you weld the back, it still has worn toe. It is hard to see the stamps, but it was probably made between 1920ies and 1940ies
1_ccf33df4ce058e169cc0eb2c6a80b449.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-collins-legitimus-trade-axe-2048943118

Funny thing is, Truper in Mexico offers brand new Media Labor axes with already worn out toes :)
13806.jpg
Is there any way to fix the heavily worn toe? I'm just getting into axes and hatchets so I'm okay with taking on a bigger project to learn.

Is there any way to fix the heavily worn toe? I'm just getting into axes and hatchets so I'm okay with taking on a bigger project to learn.
You can ask a blacksmith to re-steel with overlaid bit(it will create a Legitimus Frankenstainus, cause most likely it has inlaid bit). Assuming it has inlaid bit, you can bring back(grind down) the heel to semi-correct geometry, whittle some handle (you might have problem finding factory made one) and use it.

Back