Strange Find?

Usually called a large clasp knife rather than trapper, the knife appears to have had the scales replaced.

I see that pattern called a folding hunter. Looks like the trailing point has been sharpened a bit. I believe those were made by Camillus when they were still in business, but I agree that it looks like it was re-handled at some point. All of the kabars I've seen had a badge/shield of some kind, and often the dog's head badge. I had a collector's edition elephant toe that had a similar handle look, but purple, so it may be something like that.

Here's the case folding hunter as a reference point for the pattern, photo from collectorknives.
https://www.collectorknives.net/sho.../case-knives-chestnut-bone-cv-folding-hunter/
CAML127013-1-300x225.jpg

Last edited:
I just did some digging and it looks like a kabar 1184 folding hunter that was rehandled. All of the images I can find in a search were stock with stag and the kabar badge.

Image pulled from worthpoint website after searching "kabar folding hunter."
ka-bar-kabar-1184-vintage-folding-hunter-pocket_1_122b0b2829d53696e5ae1b83ac364eac.jpg

Bike, why show a Case, and yes it is a folding hunter but there are other folding hunter patterns. The skinning blade on the KA-BAR is pretty full, it has a lot more upswing than the Case, can't compare apples to oranges here. This type is referred to as a clasp style folding hunter. There was a period during WW2 when KA-BAR didn't use shields but this knife is not from that era. Camillus never made any knives for KA-BAR with a dog head shield, those were only made pre-war by KA-BAR/Union Cut Co or Queen for the KCC knives and later Canal St. KA-BAR did not begin using model numbers until sometime after 1966 so it is also not a model 1184 although it has the same design as 1184 it actually has an earlier model designation. The handle scales are definite replacements.

Bike, why show a Case, and yes it is a folding hunter but there are other folding hunter patterns. The skinning blade on the KA-BAR is pretty full, it has a lot more upswing than the Case, can't compare apples to oranges here. This type is referred to as a clasp style folding hunter. There was a period during WW2 when KA-BAR didn't use shields but this knife is not from that era. Camillus never made any knives for KA-BAR with a dog head shield, those were only made pre-war by KA-BAR/Union Cut Co or Queen for the KCC knives and later Canal St. KA-BAR did not begin using model numbers until sometime after 1966 so it is also not a model 1184 although it has the same design as 1184 it actually has an earlier model designation. The handle scales are definite replacements.

I showed a case because they are easier to get images for as they are current models and the OP's pic shows a nearly a standard folding hunter pattern. I pulled an image of the kabar 1184 which has the same blade shapes shown by the OP, but the link may have not worked after while. I refreshed the same image this morning, we'll see if it's still there later.

The knife not being an 1184 makes sense as there isn't "1184" stamped on the OP's knife like all of the 1184's I've found pics of. There is also a difference in the 1184 model as some have a saber ground clip point instead of the full height grind. It's close enough to the 1184 to say "it looks like a 1184" without that statement being false, as it looks like a re-handled and used 1184.

As far as clasp folding hunter vs. a folding hunter, sure. It's close enough, in my mind, to just call a folding hunter, but a clasp folding hunter may be more accurate. Still, it's a folding hunter and I think it's more descriptive than just calling it a clasp knife. Certainly made it a lot easier to find pictures of it online by calling it a folding hunter. I'm not sure the different from a clasp folding hunter vs. folding hunter, unless it's just the trailing point blade vs. a straight back. I searched "clasp knife" to see images and all manner of things showed up so that wasn't helping. Same thing happens when you search "folding hunter", for that matter, since that is a pretty common term overall. I still see it as an apples to apples comparison.

You're right on the Camillus vs Canal Street, I got my "C" named traditional knife brands mixed up.

Back