Strange weight stamp on Plumb

FLINT77

Gold Member
I just saw this strange weight stamp.

It is a big 3 with a small 5

So far I've only seen the weight stamps where the big number indicates the number of pounds (2, 3, 4, 5) and the small number indicates the number of additional quarters of pounds (1, 2, or 3).

I've also seen the weight stamps with with the weight listed with pounds and then fractions of pounds, like 3 1/2

So, in the style in this image with the big three and the small 5, what does the 5 mean? Does it mean 3.5 pounds. or 3 lbs, 5 oz ? seems like its more likely to mean 3.5 lbs to me, as I doubt Plumb went to the trouble to record the weight to the ounce.

There is a thread on here about that mark.Read it last year think it is 3 5 plumb thread,with some symbol between the numbers.

Here is my plumb db stamped 3 5. It weighs #3-10.4oz. Personally i think it's supposed to mean 3-1/2 pounds. But it is a tad confusing. Just thought I'd add my two cents.
rndA6Pf.jpg

yeah, it really must mean 3 1/2 pounds, and you are right it is confusing when there was already the longstanding convention of the smaller number meaning quarters of pounds.

I wonder if this change corresponds to a specific time period, or after a merger or buyout. or as someone suggested, maybe intended for an international market?

maybe people were complaining that the big 3 with the little 2 was confusing because your average person certainly wouldn't know about the quarters of pounds thing.

Actual weight probably depends on who was doing the grinding that day......
I'd like to punch(okay maybe a backhand) whoever did the tempering that day. The symmetry of that db is almost perfect, it was jusy unevenly tempered. Nice and deep on one side!

Back