Street Beat lightweight - quick thoughts

As soon as I saw the lightweight version of the Street Beat, I knew I would get one. The original Street Bowie has always been a favorite. When the Street Beat came out, I liked it, but it felt heavy in relation to the Street Bowie, as well as expensive. So the lightweight version of the Street Beat seemed to offer the advantages of the Bowie in an EDC-friendly version. It seemed to me it would make a perfect lightweight hiking or tactical back-up to a larger blade.

I just received my lwt Street Beat. I have to say I was initially surprised and a bit disappointed that it isn't really any lighter than the original Street Beat. The knife itself is slightly lighter, but with the sheath, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference from the original. Of course, it is significantly cheaper, although it is still the same price as the Street Bowie, despite the bowie being significantly larger and having rubber inserts in the handle. I guess that is understandable given that the Bowie is using existing molds, but the lwt Beat needed new ones.

That's not to say I don't like it, it is still a great, lightweight EDC blade with tactical function as well, it's just not the ultra-lightweight knife I was hoping for. The FRN handle feels fine, and a bit warmer and less slippery than the polished micarta. In a way, it makes me appreciate the original Street Beat more - the tang on that knife must have been seriously skeletonized to get its weight down to a similar level as a partial tang / FRN handle.
21551198250_96d67b2bb2_b.jpg

21116487344_cc44f6d592_b.jpg

For me, it would be ideal to put the handle from the lwt Street Beat on a blade about an inch longer. That way you would have a very versatile blade in a package still considerably more compact than the Street Bowie.

Below is the lwt Street Beat alongside a few other lightweight knives with blades just over 3". They're all good options. The lwt Street Beat is the best on price and for tactical double duty. The Guardian 3 has a better blade for general use (M390 steel, more belly and more robust tip), the Ultralight Bushcrafter (top) would be most comfortable in extended use, although it doesn't have the most hand-filling handle. The Bravo Necker II is the lightest (even with a small firesteel woven into the handle wrap.
21727612902_e8697289c0_b.jpg

Ha, that's funny... I just checked the Spyderco website and here are the specs, copied and pasted...

Standard...

length overall 7.188" (183mm) blade length 3.5" (89mm) blade steel VG-10
length closed () cutting edge 3.25" (83mm) weight 3.2oz (92g)
blade thickness .156" (4mm) handle material Micarta

Lightweight...

length overall 7.18" (182 mm) blade length 3.51" (89 mm) blade steel VG-10
length closed N/A (N/A) cutting edge 3.15" (80 mm) weight 3.1 oz (88 g)
blade thickness 0.157" (4.0 mm) handle material FRN

A four gram difference! Technically it is lighter weight, but calling it a "lightweight" is a bit of a stretch. I still think it's a cool knife, and the price difference seems to be a pretty wide margin, so I guess if someone wants one and doesn't mind plastic handles, this is a good alternative. I know I certainly wouldn't mind trying one, just for kicks.

I guess they meant lightweight in price as in a BIG 43% discount from the regular to the lightweight model.

Didn't Sal mention that the weight on the site was preliminary? Brummie by chance did you get to weigh yours? Thanks for the comparison pics btw.

I don't have a scale, but I can tell the lightweight is only very slightly lighter from the balance point (the blade being the same on both).

I realize it can be confusing, but "Lightweight" is simply Spyderco's way of identifying the FRN version of a knife that is also available with other handle materials. While that almost always equates to a significantly lower weight, it doesn't guarantee that will be the case.

Thanks for the review! The price difference is more important to me than the weight difference. I get from the review that its the same knife for less money...I will purchase soon

I realize that, but I think Spyderco could have made some extra effort to reduce the weight. I'm more anal about balance than weight per se. The balance point is towards the back of the finger cut out. I would prefer it towards the front on the cut out like on the Street Bowie.

With the Street Beat blade, I would prefer the handle to be a little lighter. Conversely, I think that handle would be perfect with a blade about an inch longer.

Comparing between the 4 knives in my last picture, the Street Beat and the Guardian 3 are about the same and the heaviest - the others are noticeably lighter.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the sweet spot size for me. My Ronin 2 handle is just a touch long and the regular Street Beat is a little rich for my blood.

I realize it can be confusing, but "Lightweight" is simply Spyderco's way of identifying the FRN version of a knife that is also available with other handle materials. While that almost always equates to a significantly lower weight, it doesn't guarantee that will be the case.

Hi Brummie,

Deacon is correct in his assumption. The thicker stock of the model carries the weight. We didn't want to make the stock thinner.
The goal was lower costs.

sal

It looks very nice Sal. I am not overly concerned about weight on a sheath knife that will likely be carried on a belt, but I sure do appreciate the cost difference.

If Spyderco ever decides to do an uncoated version of the Street Beat Lightweight, I'll probably get one.

Just got mine today. So far, I love it. I had a micarta one but regrettably, I sold it last year... So I can't compare weights. WRT the sheath, I plan on crafting one of my own later this week.

Just one question to those who own the new version--how grippy is the handle? Above and beyond the price, the glassy slick scales on the full-price model were my biggest concern.

Brummie: Can you comment on the sheath for the LWT? From the picture it looks like it fits tighter than the regular SB?

The scales are not grippy as such, but they are not slippery either. The retention comes from the deep cut out. If you put a more grippy surface on the scales (rubber or bead-blasted micarta), the incremental difference to the security of the grip would be miniscule. I wouldn't have any concern about the security of the polished micarta version either, especially given that there is very little of the knife exposured for anyone to get the leverage to remove it from your hand. If you don't like the polished surface, you can always rough it up with some sand paper, or send it to someone for a proper bead-blast job.

Sheath - the new plastic sheath fits tighter around the cut-out that the original. However, because it is not formed to the shape of the blade, it has more wiggle room towards the tip of the blade than the original kydex. I honestly don't have any problems with the kydex - I probably prefer it to the new one. I think the issue has been that because the edges on the exposed part of the tang on the original Street Beat are not very chamfered, they will remove a little kydex over time and cause the sheath to loosen up. However, you can always tighten the sheath by drilling a hole near the top and fitting a chicago screw set which would allow you to adjust the resistance.

Sal - Thanks for taking time to comment. I'd be happy to see further variations on these models.

Back