Strider AR

Can anyone tell me if what so great about a Strider AR? I saw one at a gun show, they look like an oversized folder. Is the quality, funcionality worth the $350 price tag? I'm just curious...opinions? comments? Anyone know of local dealer in the San Franciso bay area?

dro57

Hell yeah its worth $350.00!

Heres why, you get the best materials, the best steal, the best grind,and the best warranty in the business.

I have a GB Folder and can tell you it is like no other folder out there. A Strider AR will pry, cut, hammer, and cut some more. I don't know if the one you saw was BG-42 or S30V but mine in S30V has yet to be re-sharpened and it has seen three months of use.
The overall size of the folder will not be a concern after you handle one for a day, all other folders will feel weak.

The Strider Guys will repair, replace, re-sharpen, reblast, refinish and buff the knife free of charge for the life of you knife! You just pay shipping. Tell me that thats not a good DEAL!

I have used many folders carried many folders i.e. Emersons, CRKT's, Bucks, Spydercos, and others in the search for the perfect folder for heavy everday use. Well I found it in the Strider GB!

Last you get a master heat treat on the blade done by Paul Bos that may not sound like much but Mr. Bos is the MASTER heat treater in the business. Proper heat treat gives your blade edge holding ability hardness and if you talk to Duane or Paul Bos a whole list of other great things that are beyond my knowledge.

AR or GB you will be happy.

Dealers are on this forum, Vinne is great so isn't Matt D.
last I heard Matt D had Strider GB's in stock!

spartan_ajax,
Appreciate the feedback. I cruised Strider's website and noted the main pivot pin the blade on the AR rides on appears to be a rivet? and not a bolt/bushing set up? Have you experienced any blade play over its use?

Thanks,
dro57

Can you guys please stop talking good about the AR? It makes me want one.

No blade play what so ever.

I have had my GB in thick floor mat material approx. 1 inch deep rubber floor mat. I needed to cut through to shape the material
I rocked the GB back and forth side to side no play happened after a full day of this cutting. Towards the end I pounded the blade with a block of wood the drive it through the remaining length of floor mat. I could have cut it with something else but it was a serious test for the blade.

The pivot pin is very large. It creates more surface contact with the blade, result is ZERO blade play. A smaller pin would not be strong enough to hold.

Blade is 3/16" inch thick or .18 if you prefer.

This is the only folder I would dare to really pry with!

"Can anyone tell me if what so great about a Strider AR?"

dro57, first off check out:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214570

Then do a search for my posts. The AR is a folder like no other. Before I rec'd my AR, I carried a Sebenza (BG-42, large plain with double thumblugs and bead blasted screws). No more. The AR is my EDC, every day, all day.

One of the strange things about the AR/GB is the size. Folded, they seem pretty big. However, open, in either hand, in any type hold, they feel PERFECT.

I am talking about my GB but the AR is the same thing with a spear point. GB has the triangle of death TANTO point.

Sorry about speaking so much about my Strider GB its just that damn GOOD!

Well, guess I'm going to have to pick one up to see for myself how great these Striders are. I put an email into MattD to see if he's got an AR in stock. I like the spearpoint configuration better for sharpening. I had a tanto blade once and had a difficult time maintaining that angle on the blade edge.

"I like the spearpoint configuration better for sharpening."

I agree. The wide, full bevel blade on the AR is an absolute dream to sharpen. BTW, I use an Edge Pro Apex.

"I had a tanto blade once and had a difficult time maintaining that angle on the blade edge."

I've had similar experience with Tanto blades in the past, however they weren't wide full bevel ground blades like the GB has. The tip/primary edge on the GB might be a bit of work. I just rec'd a DB from Matt D. It has a full bevel ground blade like the AR/GB. It actually sharpened fairly easy for a Tanto. The tip/primary edge on the DB is more pointy than the GB, though.

"Dealers are on this forum, Vinne is great so isn't Matt D.
last I heard Matt D had Strider GB's in stock!"

Is there a problem with Matt, I was just about to send him a MO for a GB?

Need some feedback please

Jeffrey

I think it was a mistake, everything i've heard about Matt is good.I just dropped a MO in the mail today for a GB.

Originally posted by cntrsnipr
"Dealers are on this forum, Vinne is great so isn't Matt D.
last I heard Matt D had Strider GB's in stock!"

Is there a problem with Matt, I was just about to send him a MO for a GB?

Need some feedback please

Jeffrey

I'm sure they meant that both were Equally great, and that Matt D had some GB's in stock as well!

I've personally dealt with Matt D and will vouch for him too...a good guy! ;)
G2

PS edited to add;
Ed, she looks quite formidable with that AR, could come in handy during the teen years! :)

Matt D is one of the best guys to deal with period.
I've never dealt with Vinnie but would not hesitate to deal with him. I've only dealt with Matt D and TAD.

Just got a GB this week and really quite like it. had an ar before. I like the fact that the edge on the gb is pretty much straight with no "belly." The tip is not as sharp as the primary edge, but this does not bother me...i think that's for penetration purposes. If I ever need it sharpened/refinished I might as the strider guys to sharpen the front edge as well.
as for the ar verses the gb, i'd say get what you can due to availability. but i like the gb, but that's me.
cheers,
Derek

I'd guess that when spartan_ajax said, "Dealers are on this forum, Vinne is great so isn't Matt D. last I heard Matt D had Strider GB's in stock!", he meant to say, "Dealers are on this forum, Vinne is great so IS Matt D. last I heard Matt D had Strider GB's in stock!".

I've never heard ANYTHING negative about Matt D. I've done business with him a few times, and rec'd EXCELLENT service each time. BTW, I am one picky customer! In fact, he is my Strider dealer of choice. Nothing against the other dealers, but I can't imagine buying Strider products from anybody else. Again, that is not a cut to the other dealers.

Jeffrey, feel free to email me for details about the quality of Matthew J. Donohues service.

<B>I did say Matt D was great also. I would not hesitate to order any Striders from MattD or Vinnie.</B>

Both are really great guys. GB's are really great also. Sharpening is not an issue but the S30V does take a bit longer to get sharp, I have not sharpened my GB yet besides stropping it to keep the edge, but in the past S30V has been harder to get the edge.

L.O. how is the Edge Pro?
What did it cost you?

Back