strider buck folder question

Hi folks,

I have a Strider Buck SP. I like it very much
and it serves me well. Recently it seems to
have a tiny blade play (very small and I think
it may not be a problem for some other folders.
:D). Anyway I'd like to see my knife without
even a tiny blade play (picky I am, not good).

I'm not in the states so I can't send to knife
to Buck (I know they are nice guys). Then is
there a way to fix the tiny blade play by
myself, without doing additionl harm to the
knife? Any comments will be appreciated!

P.

Tighten the pivot. It's hard to get the exact trade-off between blade play and overtight, so experiment a little.

Use some Loctite on the pivot screw when you've got the perfect fit.

I found I have no suitable screw driver for the pivot. Could anyone let me know the type/spec of the screw driver that can be used to deal with SB1 pivot screw? I'll try to locate one. I'm afraid of destroying the screws with wrong screw drivers anyway. Thanks much.

P.

use a torx wrench, not an allen wrench.

you can get a Benchmade Blue Box, which has a head that will fit the pivot screw.

you can get a set at www.eknifeworks.com (among many other places) under brand names, benchmade.

or you can probably find a fitting head in a torx wrench set at lowes or home depot.

Where are you in China? Might be kind of hard to find a T8 Torx driver/bit there. One choice would be to order the Benchmade Blue Box, as Midget said, with your next order of knives (to save on shipping).

I bought my T6 at a hardware store in Hong Kong, though I've recently found out that it's made of crap metal.

edited:
To make it more clear, the pivot screw can be turned using T10 or T8-sized torx screws. You might need two, one to hold one side in place, while you tighten the other side. So if you get a set, get one that has both T10 and T8, so you can do this.

The spacer screws are size T8, while the clip screws are T6. Confusing, eh? :)

Thanks Midget and AlphaphaPB.

I've searched around local hardware stores and they don't even have allen ones! Before I got your information I found an allen driver in home at last and it happened to fit the screw. Then I tried it on, and 1st, the situation that AlphaphaPB mentioned happened: both sides rotated together! So I began to think I'll need at least 2 drivers, which is now confirmed. :) Then 2ndly, the allen driver started to slip while I increased the power! Fortunately I stopped at once before the screw shape could be badly damaged. I'll believe it will be more hard to find the right new torx screws than the screw drivers in my location.

So I'll go for the Benchmade tool kit. (it looks nice Midget!) And you are right AlphaphaPB, lots of locally made hardware in my location are made of very bad material, besides they are really cheap.

Thanks a lot guys!

P.

Just got another question:
Will the Loctite stick to the G10 too tightly
(say, like "melt" with G10) so that future
re-adjustment will be impossible? I didn't
experiment on mine yet.
Thanks again.

P.

You're in luck, I've recently tried some Loc-Tite out on my Buck-Strider, and a bit of it got onto the G10. No, it does not stick. It does get messy (yellowish rubbery crap) if you use too much though, so use it sparingly on the threads and try not to get it anywhere else. A little goes a long way!

Today, finally, my friend came back from the states, and together with him came the Benchmade blue box! :)
As soon as I came back home I used the 8 and 10 torx bits tightened the pivot screw of my Strider Buck 880 SP. Now there is by all means no single side to side blade play, it locks up like a rock. :D

The steel used for the torx bits seems good, there is no damage/scratch on them after the use. (only one thing I didn't expect: I thought the blue box tool kit is made in the USA, but it's made in Taiwan. Well good quality anyway.)

I didn't try to apply Loctite to the screw yet. I'll see how long the tightened pivot screw can hold. Now my 880 is perfect. :)

Back