Strip'd the Nine

It's lookin' good now! I like it very much without the coating, not that it was ugly before. There are some clear scratches from the stripping but I'm going to buff them out over time. The stuff I used to strip it was nasty and ate through the gloves I was wearing, burned me up good! But it was worth it. Pics:

BeckerandRayban001.jpg

BeckerandRayban003.jpg

BeckerandRayban004.jpg

BeckerandRayban006-1.jpg

That looks great!!!

I think they look great with the coating and think they look great without the coating.

The BK9 is just a great knife!

Spiffy, Spooky, just spiffy. What a great knife the BK-9 is, and without her clothes, well ...

Here's some fire and fuzzies! That BK13 is a really great firesteel striker. I batoned through a couple of 4-6" pieces of wood I had laying around, it was a breeze! I think the lack of coating did indeed help a good bit.

beckerfire007.jpg

beckerfire008.jpg

beckerfire013.jpg

That does have a good look to it. Almost an antique look like it was a restored WWI blade or somesuch.

Also used it this afternoon to cut up a few watermelons for the family. Did a great job! Very smooth to work with, even in cutting out deep pieces at odd angles. Anyway, developing an even more handsome patina, bit by bit.

What did you use to strip it, if you don't mind my asking?

Crap, now I'm thinking of doing it to mine...

Some generic stuff from the hardware store, it's thick like a gel. A methanol / methylene glycol base. Eats it off pretty well, only had to soak it for about 10-15 minutes. Still had some scraping off to do of course.

you can use some mustard and ketchup to get that patina really dark .

I usually like to add a patina naturally through use. But if I do force it, I use a lemon juice mixture. I like the patina to be mostly even, I don't enjoy the patchiness that mustard leaves.

Back