Stripped screw? No problem!

Cyrano

Gold Member
In attempting to remove a pocket clip from one of my knives, I stripped its anchor screw. Utterly.

i-6t2VScR-L.jpg

The translucent gunk you see on the screw head is Crazy Glue, which was no help at all.

So, how did I get it out?

With purpose-specific screw removal pliers:

i-LM8SHcF.jpg

They worked perfectly, first try. Pure magic.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of socket it was but that's the very reason on smaller screws like 2-56 and 4-40 when they are button or flat heads I like when Torx are used over allen heads.

I'm not sure what kind of socket it was but that's the very reason on smaller screws like 2-56 and 4-40 when they are button or flat heads I like when Torx are used over allen heads.

It was a #6 Torx I destroyed.

I believe these are the same product as I got from Japan, rebranded.

I believe you are correct. I ordered the Vampliers last month to remove stripped out Torx screws from my Delica (Pocket Clip) and the Vampliers are a product from Japan and they worked wonderfully...

Thanks, these are cool, and I can see them being quite useful. I just ordered a pair of the engineer pz-60’s.

I believe you are correct. I ordered the Vampliers last month to remove stripped out Torx screws from my Delica (Pocket Clip) and the Vampliers are a product from Japan and they worked wonderfully...

They may be the same physical product, but in English, "Vampliers" is the better name. How many tools have a good pun for a name? :)

They may be the same physical product, but in English, "Vampliers" is the better name. How many tools have a good pun for a name? :)

Agree on the name, and I like the red of the vampliers. However, the difference in price was $27 vs $39, so I went with the Pz-60.

It was a #6 Torx I destroyed.

What kind of Torx driver are you using I have found Wihas to be the best out there,if you need Hex drivers for any knives that you may own that use Allen heads look into MIP Thorp Hex drivers that can be found at most hobby shops they are made to last a lifetime literally,the MIP Thorp ones tend to fit fairly tight and work really well they also make the shaft and tip from a drill blank and grind the tip.

This is a question for everyone do you find that even if you use a Torx driver like Wiha that the Spyderco screws seem to always fit just a bit looser for reason,I know my drivers are now worn at all,from what I understand Spyderco makes all their owns screws or at least that's what I was told by Spyderco when I asked for replacement's a while back and I wonder if they just don't make theirs a bit looser for reason.

I find that the Spyderco screws fit not bad but are not the tightest fitting when compared to other Torx screws I have used and you would think with pocket clip and the screws that hold the knife together such as a Paramilitary 2 that they would be a bit tighter fit to avoid socket wear or stripping.

What kind of Torx driver are you using I have found Wihas to be the best ...

I used a Wiha Torx driver to annihilate my screw.

I don't assign any blame to the Wiha driver. A lesser tool might itself have been damaged, but the Wiha wasn't even scratched. The Wiha did just what I asked it to do: translate my meager hand strength into the maximum amount of torque possible. It did this so well that the screw didn't have a chance.

Cyrano was the screw head brand new and never taken out until that,I know like I said before Spyderco has loose fitting Torx socket's and they are by no means the worst out there,but from what I have found is the Allen Heads if you get good ones they seem to have a tighter fitting socket when used with a Dynamite or Mip Thorp Hex driver made for the RC Car hobby,but from what I have found from Torx wrench's and Torx screws it does not matter where you get either from and what driver or screws you use they don't fit as tight as Allen heads when used with a RC hobby driver.

I will say this however even though the Torx fit a bit looser I find they can be taken out more often before they need to be replaced,I have found even with the RC drivers for Hex heads they help a lot but they still don't make the screws last as long as a Torx,but then again a Torx wrench has more point's to grab onto then a Hex head.

I found this thread while searching for a source for replacement pocket-clip screws for my Wegner designed BladeTech. I contacted BladeTech and they were kind enough to send me (1) replacement screw. Unfortunately it was a size too small. Where can I buy replacement screws? I can measure the OD of a proper fitting screw and maybe estimate the threads per inch. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Back