Stripping question

Just curious whats quickest to strip the coating off without any machines or sanders .just want the coating off .i know the decarb rust so id like to know if taking off the decarb process too and does decarbing affect warranty ? I know i can take off the coating but am unsure about decarb.
I know busse stand over their products so am just curious before tear into it cheers jason

Just curious whats quickest to strip the coating off without any machines or sanders .just want the coating off .i know the decarb rust so id like to know if taking off the decarb process too and does decarbing affect warranty ? I know i can take off the coating but am unsure about decarb.
I know busse stand over their products so am just curious before tear into it cheers jason

Hey here's my post from this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hey-strippers.1512892/#post-17374875. Check out the pictures of my results. For decarb, the simplest way is to have the knife sandblasted, and then glass bead blasted. You'll end up with something like a Double Cut finish.

If you like the results PeteyTwoPointOne and Rsdeke got, where the INFI beneath is left pristine by the stripping process with almost no physical effort, the steps below will get you there. This process is extremely easy to not screw up. The worst you can do is strip coating you didn't intend to, or get the stripper on yourself, someone else, your pet, or definitely worst of all, your car. :D

Warning: If you choose to follow these steps, you do so at your own risk. Paint stripper is toxic to the skin, eyes and will leave a mild chemical burn if you leave it on your skin for more than a few seconds. Please read the warning label of any chemical you use. Paint stripping should be done outside ONLY. Wear rubber gloves, eye protection, long sleeves and pants you don't care about, and ideally a suitable breathing filter (I never have, being outside every time). I take no responsibility for any harm you do to yourself, any other human, animal or object, or for any other possible negative affects caused by following the steps below.

Having said that, I have never had a single bad outcome from this process, having done it 6 or 7 times (other than having gotten the stuff on myself in a few spots. Not a big deal.). Also, I have only tried this on the crinkle coat. I'm not sure this works on Cerakote:

1) Go to a hardware store.
2) Get RUBBER GLOVES and a spray can of paint stripper. If you're like me, get 2 cans, so you can't possibly run out doing 1 knife. Usually 1 can is more than enough. I don't like "usually enough." I like guarantees. I like spares. :) You might even be inspired by the excellent results, and want to do more of your knives. Would be a shame to have to go back to the hardware store...
3) Get some foil or an old cookie sheet. Think of it like spray painting. Go outside, away from the house AND CARS. You DO NOT want this stuff anywhere near your cars. Put the pan/foil down where nothing alive is anywhere near it. Lay down newspaper on a wider area if you want to, and put the pan/foil over that.
4) Put on rubber gloves (seriously), but, don't be afraid of the stuff. Just try not to get it on your skin or it will give you a mild chemical burn. It hurts, turns red. Goes away in a day. I've done it, its not that bad. Spare yourself anyway. Wear the gloves and DO NOT SPRAY YOUR FACE. Be aware of where the nozzle is pointed, keep it pointed away from yourself, and you'll be fine (just like spray paint). If you do get the stripper on yourself, cold water and a little soap will remove it. You may notice redness later. You may or may not feel anything. One time it itched a little bit. One time it felt like a minor sunburn. You've been warned.
5) Put the knife down in the pan or foil.
6) Spray the paint stripper on liberally. Don't be shy. All over. Turn the knife to make sure you get everywhere you intend to. Curves in the scales, talon holes, etc. NOTE: I have used stripper on canvas micarta many times, with absolutely NO effect. That is my experience. I can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience. The stuff washes off with soap and water.
7) Wait 10 mins. You will simply not believe how easily the coating comes off. If you pick up the knife and shake it, sheets of the coating will slide off. Anything that doesn't move can be agitated with your GLOVED fingers, or a nice PLASTIC brush (toothbrush is fine), to removed it from the nooks and crannies. Any coating that's still stuck, simply apply more stripper, and give it a few mins. IT WILL COME OFF EASILY. LET CHEMISTRY WORK ITS MAGIC. DO NOT USE A METAL TOOL (unless you don't care about scratches).
8) Once you're satisfied that the coating is completely removed to your liking, wash the knife with warm water and dish soap. Re-oil at your discretion.

Happy to answer questions if you have trouble. Just PM me.

Thanks lads for your time and responses .and you grownupkid for your detailed steps .im usually good at.all the hand on type stuff .id rather do it myself to be honest buy i am gonna google stripetition just for a look anyway .what about res c and paint stripper ?just an afterthought

I use citristrip. Paint the stuff on (wear gloves and eye protection) and let it sit for 10 mins. Works better when it's not cold outside. I like using a disposable putty knife to scrape the coating off.

I
Hey here's my post from this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hey-strippers.1512892/#post-17374875. Check out the pictures of my results. For decarb, the simplest way is to have the knife sandblasted, and then glass bead blasted. You'll end up with something like a Double Cut finish.

If you like the results PeteyTwoPointOne and Rsdeke got, where the INFI beneath is left pristine by the stripping process with almost no physical effort, the steps below will get you there. This process is extremely easy to not screw up. The worst you can do is strip coating you didn't intend to, or get the stripper on yourself, someone else, your pet, or definitely worst of all, your car. :D

Warning: If you choose to follow these steps, you do so at your own risk. Paint stripper is toxic to the skin, eyes and will leave a mild chemical burn if you leave it on your skin for more than a few seconds. Please read the warning label of any chemical you use. Paint stripping should be done outside ONLY. Wear rubber gloves, eye protection, long sleeves and pants you don't care about, and ideally a suitable breathing filter (I never have, being outside every time). I take no responsibility for any harm you do to yourself, any other human, animal or object, or for any other possible negative affects caused by following the steps below.

Having said that, I have never had a single bad outcome from this process, having done it 6 or 7 times (other than having gotten the stuff on myself in a few spots. Not a big deal.). Also, I have only tried this on the crinkle coat. I'm not sure this works on Cerakote:

1) Go to a hardware store.
2) Get RUBBER GLOVES and a spray can of paint stripper. If you're like me, get 2 cans, so you can't possibly run out doing 1 knife. Usually 1 can is more than enough. I don't like "usually enough." I like guarantees. I like spares. :) You might even be inspired by the excellent results, and want to do more of your knives. Would be a shame to have to go back to the hardware store...
3) Get some foil or an old cookie sheet. Think of it like spray painting. Go outside, away from the house AND CARS. You DO NOT want this stuff anywhere near your cars. Put the pan/foil down where nothing alive is anywhere near it. Lay down newspaper on a wider area if you want to, and put the pan/foil over that.
4) Put on rubber gloves (seriously), but, don't be afraid of the stuff. Just try not to get it on your skin or it will give you a mild chemical burn. It hurts, turns red. Goes away in a day. I've done it, its not that bad. Spare yourself anyway. Wear the gloves and DO NOT SPRAY YOUR FACE. Be aware of where the nozzle is pointed, keep it pointed away from yourself, and you'll be fine (just like spray paint). If you do get the stripper on yourself, cold water and a little soap will remove it. You may notice redness later. You may or may not feel anything. One time it itched a little bit. One time it felt like a minor sunburn. You've been warned.
5) Put the knife down in the pan or foil.
6) Spray the paint stripper on liberally. Don't be shy. All over. Turn the knife to make sure you get everywhere you intend to. Curves in the scales, talon holes, etc. NOTE: I have used stripper on canvas micarta many times, with absolutely NO effect. That is my experience. I can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience. The stuff washes off with soap and water.
7) Wait 10 mins. You will simply not believe how easily the coating comes off. If you pick up the knife and shake it, sheets of the coating will slide off. Anything that doesn't move can be agitated with your GLOVED fingers, or a nice PLASTIC brush (toothbrush is fine), to removed it from the nooks and crannies. Any coating that's still stuck, simply apply more stripper, and give it a few mins. IT WILL COME OFF EASILY. LET CHEMISTRY WORK ITS MAGIC. DO NOT USE A METAL TOOL (unless you don't care about scratches).
8) Once you're satisfied that the coating is completely removed to your liking, wash the knife with warm water and dish soap. Re-oil at your discretion.

Happy to answer questions if you have trouble. Just PM me.
I have some aircraft remover from Walmart. Rust-oleum brand I believe. Is this what you're talking about? Appreciate the lead!

Citristrip works amazing and is safe. Generously cover the coated blade and then wrap in Saran wrap for 24 hours. You can then remove the coating using a plastic knife if you want to. Anything that doesn’t come off, simply repeat process. No sanding necessary. I’ve done small knives and swords with everything in between.

Back