stropping a knife blade

rprocter

BANNED
i am learning to sharpen using edgepro, sharpmaker and DMT xcoarse bench stone. i just bought an 18 in. leather/canvas strop and stropping compound. however, subsequently i read that leather glued to a wooden block is superior for stropping knives; that a free hanging strop is for razors. so, would i do better trying to learn on my hanging strop or make one with a wooden block and use that ? also, any advice on applying the stropping compound; i.e. how much, how often, work it in first, etc. ? thanks for the help, roland

I have a piece of scrap leather glued to a 2x4 loaded with mothers mag & aluminum polish that works wonderfully. Try searching around for how and when to load up your strop there is a bunch of threads about it around here somewhere...

Here is a good stropping guide that I like.
http://drsharpening.com/leatherhone.html You could experiment with your free hanging strop, but most folks seem to recommend a hard backing for knives. I've had good luck with paper on glass, but have never tried the free hanging leather strop method. I load the paper with green, dry powder (Chromium Oxide).

Oh another thing to consider is how much ive your surface has. For example the 2x4 backed leather will have more give than the glass backed paper. THe more give a surface has, the less pressure required (too much will tend to round the edge) and the more noticable convexing effect it has.

I recently had my first experience sharpening a convex blade (Bark River Mini Canadian). Now I am a hopelessly incompetent sharpener, but I have never sharpened a knife so easily, quickly or well!

To sharpen, I used 1000 and then 2000 grit sandpaper on a thick piece of cardboard attached to a 2x4. To strop, I used just the cardboard treated with automotive rubbing compound.

I have better luck with free hanging, but I strongly suspect it's whatever you are most comfortable with. Good luck!

Back