Stropping a straight razor?

I'm considering giving straight razor shaving a try. Partially because I haven't been happy with anything else I've tried.

I've read that one should strop a straight razor at least once mid-shave. Now I know the blade has to be very sharp to shave well, and most straight razors are not made of S90V, but will the razor really get too dull to shave well after shaving half a face?

I know that good, properly sharpened knives can be put through a lot before their edges need to be touched up, and I would rate shaving hair as one of the least demanding tasks on a blade (much less demanding than cutting, say, meat or leather).

Do straight razors really need to be stropped that often?

I just did some reading at straightrazorplace.com & they strop before and/or after and/or in the middle of every shave. How can a blade dull that quickly on hair?

I strop before each shave. I don't find it necessary to do so mid-shave. Never tried skipping a stropping so don't know if it more often than the minimum or not.

S90V would not make a good razor steel. For a razor you really want high carbon steel.

ron

I've never stropped a razor mid-shave. I think it all depends on the coarseness of your facial hair.

I strop before and after each shave. Why risk it? Besides it's a great habit. The razor dulls so quickly, because
A) high carbon steel
B) look how thin the hollow grind makes that edge

You get into it after a while. There is a mystique to it.

I have read you should let the razor rest before stropping it after or during a shave. Some say the edge gets stressed and if you strop it you may remove bits of metal. I'm sure this is up for debate, but since I have read this more than once I only strop before I shave and then I don't strop the razor again until a day or two later. I have more than one razor so I don't use the same two days in a row.

The edge will need frequent stropping before each use because the edge of a razor is MUCH MUCH thinner than the edge of a knife. It can easily be distorted. The stropping simply re-aligns the edge. Think of it as crumpling up the edge of some tin foil and then pressing it flat again.

That is what I am thinking, in order for it to be truly shaving sharp not just popin sharp, you need a microscopically think blade edge.

can any one suggest the best meathod to take out small rust spots in some older razors

Most guys will use some sort of metal polish for minor surface rust -- Brasso, Flitz, Maas, etc. If the rust is more advanced, then uusally sanding with higher-grit paper is involved.

I'm a before and after guy. My facial hair fairly coarse, to the point that I can't shave w/o a long shower with anything but an electric. If I WERE to dry shave, I'd have to strop every pass.

If you have the cash, then do it... It'll make you feel like a man

Back