Stupid folder questions

Okay, I have a few folder questions. Trying to keep it simple, so I want to do a friction folder first. Here are my questions:

1) I have some thin titanium sheet that would be great for the liners. Can I cut it with a normal hacksaw?

2) What size pivot pin should I use?

3) What's the best way to fit the blade + washers with the spacers for the handles so that everything lines up?

4) Where can I get standoffs for the spacers?

Steve, titanium can be cut with a hacksaw it just takes some work. A good bi-metal blade with 24 tpi should do the trick. For a friction folder 1/8" pivot will work nicely. Drill undersize and ream the hole for best fit. For spacing, measure the blade plus the washers and make the backspacer the combined width plus a few thousands. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you ask about standoffs for the spacers.

Enjoy the project!

Thanks for the input, here's some clarification and more questions:

1) As for "standoffs" I mean those little threaded tubes that take the place of the backspacer, so the spine of the handle is open (ala REKAT folders, etc). There is a female part that is threaded on both sides, then the screws go through the handle scales and liner to bind everything together. Is there a place that sells these in multiple sizes so that I can find something without modifying it?

2) Reaming- what type of reamer do I need to be looking for? I have absolutely no machining training or anything!

Steve,
My recommendations is to find a maker in your area and let him "teach" you. Lotsa makers in MI and I'm sure they will help you.
You might find one with a bad back and be willing to trade your skill for his:)

Kit, not a bad idea...I would like to knock out a simple FF on my own, though. I'll keep you all posted as to how this project progresses, if at all.

Chiro, nice to see you posting a lot again...

A simple formula for the blade thickness and spacers is the following:

1/8" precision ground blade
Two .031" nylatron washers, material available from MSC
3/16" stainless spacers, MSC, originally sold for circuit boards

The two washers and blade add up to .187 or 3/16. If you're doing a friction folder though, you may not want the washers. In that case just get standoffs that are the same thickness as the blade. The key to smooth action is having the blade and spacer be absolutely parallel.

You can get stainless step pivots in a variety of diameters from the knifesupply houses or at halperntitanium.com. These come with a really long head which will have to be ground down or turned. Since I don't have a lathe, I stick the pin in my cordless drill and hold it up to the grinder. Using the platen to hog it down and then the slack belt to finish I can get a beautiful domed head on the pin. The drill turns it perfectly and the dual action gives you lots of control.

Hope that helps. After you've made one though, it's going to be all over... ;) Betcha can't make just one.

Back