STYLE OF KNIFE

Since I carry and use all my knives. I prefer a knife style that is more a practical tool than weapon in appearance.
How about you?

Anything non threathening but capable will do. Plain drop point fixed blade with choil or some kind of guard so it is still capable of being used as a weapon too.

Wharncliffe
The upsidedown knife. Can be made to look benign.
I settled on this:

seax.jpg

Modified seax
Almost a sheepsfoot, which is good too.
I carried a Spyderco Mariner for a good while before I lost it.

There is very much available on the market in that kind of style, right now...

I only own stockman so all my knives are more practical tool instead of weapon in both appearance and design.

I have a couple few fixed blades. I think two or three might have a clip point blade. Most are a drop point or I suppose "modified drop point" (I ain't sure what you'd call the point on a Buck 877, for example) My favorite fixed blades are a Puukko style, with no guard.
My longest fixed blade has a six inch blade. None are what most people with two or more consecutive operational brain cells would consider a "weapon".
As for folders, I prefer a multi blade slipjoint. They are more versatile than a single blade knife, although I do have a couple single blade slipjoints and a few Buck 110's and Old Timer 6OT and 7OT lockbacks.

In my humble probably somewhat biased opinion, all my knives are more "work" than "weapon".

Since I am a civilian, and far outside of military service age, I don't need an offensive weapon, except when hunting big and small game critters.
I have suitable archery and muzzleloading long guns for hunting.
If I need a defensive weapon ... well ... I have a really nice (IMHO), compact 1911 in .45ACP for that. :)
(the gods willing, I'll never be in that situation again.)

Last edited:
Yes.

fK7rbMd.jpg

cygiial.jpg

I think I fall more into the “practical” than the “tactical” category. I’ve always been a fan of traditional knives. I have tried a bunch of different styles of modern, tactical, offensive, or whatever word you want to use. I always came back to more traditional, conservative styles that seemed to fit me and my uses better. So I stopped buying “modern” style folders for the most part. The exception I suppose would be CRK, but I don’t consider those tactical looking. More modern functionality than tactical or aggressive. Other than that I’ll carry a Buck, or one of the few custom slip joints I have. Hunting will always have at least one Buck fixed blade with me. Same with fishing.

Absolutely, Yes ! This is one of my favorites, carries on the belt, on a necklace or in the pocket. And it has those perfect traditional lines to boot (made by Daado / Knife Makers' market, here on BF) :
dwGzMeu.jpg

Back