Subjugator, Evoke or Esprit?

Hi Everyone,

Which WE Knife would you recommend of these three knives? Subjugator, Evoke or Esprit TI? Whis has better action, better ergonomics for large hands, better ergonomics using the frame lock. I have recently bought my first frame lock knife which is the Kizer T1 and sometimes I cant open it because my finger is resting on the lock. I would say 9 times of 10 tries I successfully open it but it just annoys me. I'd like a tank built, comfortable, easy to use EDC. The only downside is I will have to chop them to 3,14 inch because the law in my country, but I don't want knife with small handles. So I prefer bigger knives and then make the blade smaller.

I have multiples of all 3. You must be a thumb-stud guy.

In order of awesome, 1 being the most awesome for big hands, and overall:

1. Subjigator
2. Evoke
3. Esprit

..and my personal favorite (have 6):

Beacon (no thumb studs)

I don’t recommend buying knives and then grinding the blade down. Aside from the engineering issues involved, it kills re-sale value. I would just figure out what the max length is for laws in your country and then select from the list of knives that conform to that. The subjugator and evoke are like 3.5” so that’s a lot of grinding down.

I have multiples of all 3. You must be a thumb-stud guy.

In order of awesome, 1 being the most awesome for big hands, and overall:

1. Subjigator
2. Evoke
3. Esprit

..and my personal favorite (have 6):

Beacon (no thumb studs)
Thanks for your answer. Yes I'm a "thumbstud guy". Am I right if I think that framelock opens better with flippers. I mean one or two fingers are not resting on the frame lock while flipping the blade. Maybe I'm wrong.

The subjugator and evoke are like 3.5” so that’s a lot of grinding down.
I think it looks better even with flipper delete.
subjugator.jpg

You're right but I don't really care. Maybe there will be a guy in my country with the same perspective of thinking, who wants a legal sized knife for his large hand

It's not just resale value or making it look nice. Grinding down 20CV takes time and you have to be careful not to generate too much heat as you go. Do you have experience with this?

Don't get me wrong. Lots of my knives have modifications, even just minor stuff like chamfered scale edges. The thing is, it seems like you are still early on the journey here and you're talking about big mods. I'd recommend spending more time exploring knives with ~3" blades. Shape matters and you might find a handle you actually like. There are certainly lots of choices, even just from WE and their sub-brands.

It's not just resale value or making it look nice. Grinding down 20CV takes time and you have to be careful not to generate too much heat as you go. Do you have experience with this?

Don't get me wrong. Lots of my knives have modifications, even just minor stuff like chamfered scale edges. The thing is, it seems like you are still early on the journey here and you're talking about big mods. I'd recommend spending more time exploring knives with ~3" blades. Shape matters and you might find a handle you actually like. There are certainly lots of choices, even just from WE and their sub-brands.
I don't have experice in that. I will hire a knowledgable person. He has a Tormek T8 with water cooling and with slow turning if you know that sharpener. I'm over on the period when I buy 3" knives. There is no point to take this conversation in that direction. I never liked frame locks. I tried one, and I'm collecting info about it. Is this uncomfortable issue, with just this model and some model made differently or this is frame lock and I should skip them. I'm planning to buy a Culex so the size and lock type will match but I want a bigger one as well.

Last edited:
Back