Subtle Handle Modification

Go ahead an flame me, but even tho' traditional khukuri handles look good, I don't find them to be so comfy to use. In fact, I have yet to heft a khukuri whose raised handle ring is liked by my hand...it's just that some are worse than others. What I always end up doing is using some small files to take down the angled ring and turn the last squared ring into a half-round bead. Only then is the palm happy, and the khukuri handle's looks is actually improved.

I end up doing this to all my wood handles, but never could bring myself to mess with the horn. (guess that's one reason they all got sold)

Maybe I'm the only one with this affliction, but such is life.

Dan

Your not the only one, Dan. I have a wood handled village model that I sanded and refinished with linseed oil. It fits my hand very well now. I haven't had the gumption to do anything with any of the horn handled numbers, but I have a 15" sirupati that could use the top horn on the handle ground down a bit. More on that after the Chakma project is done :D

Pat

Y' asked for a flaming, an' here it comes, ol' buddy! If you get a khuk with sharp handle rings, at least y' know they're making them the traditional way. An' that's not to be sneered at by the purists. Yeh, I KNOW you paid for the khuks with your own honest money, an' you can do with them what you please. An' you won't be damaging any antique value. (Howsomever, I think these real honest-to-goodness khuks made in Nepal by shops like GH is dealing with, can only increase in value, and then only if they are not altered.) The oldest khuk I ever handled, was a beautiful antique that got JP waxing lyrical and some forumites swooning. I'll put in a link below, which I hope you can access, including the pix. Now here comes the clinch: this fantastic old khuk had the SHARPEST HANDLE RINGS I've ever seen!!!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157983 :cool: :cool: :cool:

Johan, I don't think I can successfully argue my case against your post. Yes indeed, those uncomfortable handles are traditional, but my hand almost blisters when I do no more than look at them. Maybe there's a Nepali technique of using them that is different, so this sharp ring works for them very well. But I consider mine to be tools, and not valuable show pieces, and they function far better with modest rings. I like lots of the antiques, but collecting just isn't what I do.

Conversely, for a little something back atcha, I saw some footage of some Gurkhas on yesterday evening's news. They were doing some desert training, and even some exercises with their khukuris! It was obviously some sort of organized unit drill, which reminds me some of good karatemen doing kata. The khukuris appeared to be along the lines of the SN1 (many most likely made by the same hands as ours), and it was the first time I had seen the real deal - even using a reverse grip! OK, my point is that if a raised ring is such a great idea, then why aren't the current battle khukuris made as such? Not only that, they even tape the handles!

Say, I got a bunch of great pics in the mail today! I'll see if I can e-mail you with the commentary soon....in between barrel break-in sessions, of course. (I've discovered the cold truth: that varmint season NEVER really ends.)

Thanks, bud!

Dan

Hey, thanks for letting me know about the pics. Of course, I want something from you in return. Guess what it is?

About your philosophy on collecting work-a-day (altered) khuks: no problem with that.

I'm beginning to think that the olden-day Gurkhas who used the traditional sharp-ringed khuks a long time ago, must've had rock-hard calloused hands. They used their khuks on a daily basis, for chopping wood, slaughtering goats or bullocks and maybe the odd warlike neighbor to the bargain, and a myriad of chores involving cutting and chopping. Get my drift...? Those hands will be able to take any punishment by the sharp handle rings! Compare: When last have you tried to play a guitar after months of inactivity? Your fingertips will have hell to pay after a few hours, yet guitarists and regular players don't feel any discomfort. Have you seen or felt the callouses on those fingertips? Same with horse-riding: saddle-bums don't chafe. (Oops, sorry, Mr Moderator.) Modern Gurkhas probably have to tape the handles of SN1's because they don't use the khuks as often anymore. I think we've got the explanation here. :D

Back