Suggest My Next Knife, please

Hello BF, I'm looking for a fixed blade. I would like 20cv, micarta, and prefer kydex. Less than $300 would be awesome. I could dig a little deeper if something grabs my attention. I've looked repeatedly through some online retailers. So far nothing speaks to me. Maybe you're aware of something I'm not?

I'm starting to think a custom may be the answer. But that brings up the next question. Which maker would you select?
Thank you!

Warcraft Tanto, hands down best performing blade I ever used, CPM-3V steel and G10 handle, full tang construction and it's within your price range :)

Hello BF, I'm looking for a fixed blade. I would like 20cv, micarta, and prefer kydex. Less than $300 would be awesome. I could dig a little deeper if something grabs my attention. I've looked repeatedly through some online retailers. So far nothing speaks to me. Maybe you're aware of something I'm not?

I'm starting to think a custom may be the answer. But that brings up the next question. Which maker would you select?
Thank you!
Size?

Lionsteel m4... 3.75"
M390 is the european equivelant to 20cv, it's a leather sheath, but with a button strap still provides extra retention. You can always have a custom kydex sheath made with the extra funds. Quite a few talented kydex folks around.

Bradford Guardian or Giantmouse GMF2 are a similar boat...

Also you can try to contacting a custom maker, also a bunch here in the knifemaker's subsection, some even have their own subsections... big chris comes instantly to mind, but there are others for sure.

Last edited:
Size?

Lionsteel m4... 3.75"
M390 is the european equivelant to 20cv, it's a leather sheath, but with a button strap still provides extra retention. You can always have a custom kydex sheath made with the extra funds. Quite a few talented kydex folks around.

Bradford Guardian or Giantmouse GMF2 are a similar boat...

Also you can try to contacting a custom maker, also a bunch here in the knifemaker's subsection, some even have their own subsections... big chris comes instantly to mind, but there are others for sure.

4 inches give or take a bit is my sweet spot. I own a guardian 3. I spent a lot of time, and even made a thread here, deciding between the guardian 3 and the M4. Now I'd like a US made steel. If 204p opens more doors, I'm willing to explore that. I've got m390 checked off for now.

The Bark River Mini Kephart would probably serve your purposes well based on your forum handle. Leather sheath however.

I'd suggest cruwear, aebl, or 4V... though I like 3V and 80CrV2, also.
If you want a suggestion - go to the CPK (Carothers Performance Knives) subforum, and look up the DEK1. Then watch the Next Sale thread to find out when you can try to get one (it's a new model, so it's not easy; but eventually things slow down)

What do you want to use the knife for?

Mostly slicey kinda things. Rope, tape, and cardboard are what I cut most. Lunch, nylon webbing, and feather sticks are some other things I spend cutting. I try not to abuse my knives. There are other tools for that.

Thank you!

I would be all over the Survive Knife gso 3.5 or 4.0 in either 20cv or their legendary 3v steel in the micarta canvas or micarta linen.

Or you could go with the CPK EDC 2 or CPK FK in micarta.

You have the makings for a fine custom knife, in my humble opinion.

Very satisfying experience working with a good knife maker. And the product you receive is exactly what you want.

I'd quit researching knives and start looking through the fine craftsmen available to us.

There is a big online knife store, selling a limited edition Buck 192 Vanguard with a 20cv drop point blade and linen micarta handle. It's under $300 , but not by much. They are not a paying dealer her so I can't list the name or give a link.

O.B.

There is a big online knife store, selling a limited edition Buck 192 Vanguard with a 20cv drop point blade and linen micarta handle. It's under $300 , but not by much. They are not a paying dealer her so I can't list the name or give a link.

O.B.

late to the party, try spyderco sustain, its in cpm 20cv, its a pig sticker so maybe too big? other than that try bradford guardian 3 in AEB-L

I would be all over the Survive Knife gso 3.5 or 4.0 in either 20cv or their legendary 3v steel in the micarta canvas or micarta linen.

Or you could go with the CPK EDC 2 or CPK FK in micarta.

You have the makings for a fine custom knife, in my humble opinion.

Very satisfying experience working with a good knife maker. And the product you receive is exactly what you want.

I'd quit researching knives and start looking through the fine craftsmen available to us.
I should just email Robert Erickson and get something started. I realize I'm seeking unusual and specific materials, such as sapphire blue shadetree micarta. Commissioning a custom is the only way I'm even going to come close.

O.B.
That's pretty nice but not what I'm looking for now.

late to the party, try spyderco sustain, its in cpm 20cv, its a pig sticker so maybe too big? other than that try bradford guardian 3 in AEB-L
Right hand leather sheath and G10 are things I'd prefer to avoid.

Thanks everyone.

I got a small knife I really liked from a maker here; and wanted a similar, but larger, version made. I won't name him because he came off as a bit of a jerk, and was utterly disinterested in making the knife I wanted. (It wasn't very different from others he'd advertised)

I subsequently started the process with Robert Erickson, only to get sidelined by unexpected bills and an unfortunate decrease in income (who'd have thought THAT would be an issue for a healthcare worker during a pandemic). Looking forward to getting that ball rolling again. I've been close to grabbing a few that he's posted since then; but I let the voice of responsibility sway me. Have him make your knife, and post pictures to taunt me. Summer's half over; so I'll pursue hours elsewhere soon enough (then I can spend money without listening to the voices in my head)

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a custom i ordered from
Ankura knife which I found here in the forums. He makes some awesome looking blades and mine was right about the price you're looking for. Ill post it as soon as it comes in but if you haven't seen his website its definitely worth checking out.

Back