Suggested Grik improvement

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
@Cold Steel Knives ,@DemkoKnives

Been carrying the Grik for quite a while and really like it, but I feel that it could be improved by moving the thumb ramp a bit further back on the blade. Why is it so far forward? When open, it's too far into the cutting path, and when closed, it's too far inwards, making it a bit awkward to open compared to other knives.

Can see the difference when compared to the GoldenEye, especially when open. I know it's not true apples to apples since the GE is larger, and the handle has a different shape, but I had one and it felt much more "natural" to open if you know what I mean. On the Grik, it's like you have to reach back with your thumb to get to the ramp.

View attachment 1425120

View attachment 1425121

It’d actually be a good knife if they make it with thumbstud and normal steel clip.

I like the clip. Granted I did break one, but it won't shred your pants, doesn't become a hot spot, and won't scratch things you might bump/lean into.

I'd be happy to just remove the ramp altogether; maybe include the allen wrench to do so and that wouldn't violate the Spyderco patent?

Or make one with an oval hole.

I like holes better than studs or ramps because they don't get in the way when slicing food. With the Grik, it's sharp all the way back so I could use the whole length of the blade, if not for that ramp.

Round hole in any part of the blade is trademarked by Spyderco unfortunately. Oval hole is nice but I find that it doesn’t work quite as well as round hole. Also, things has tendency to get stuck in the hole. Try piecing the cardbox with a Spyderco, you’ll find that the hole caused the blade to get stuck.
Still prefer the basic boring thumbstud despite it shortening the effective blade length.

Round hole in any part of the blade is trademarked by Spyderco unfortunately. Oval hole is nice but I find that it doesn’t work quite as well as round hole. Also, things has tendency to get stuck in the hole. Try piecing the cardbox with a Spyderco, you’ll find that the hole caused the blade to get stuck.
Still prefer the basic boring thumbstud despite it shortening the effective blade length.
So other manufacturers can’t use round holes for the pivot?

So other manufacturers can’t use round holes for the pivot?
Visible round hold on the blade. There’s been cases where Spyderco sent cease and desist to custom makers who made folding cleaver designs with holes at the end of the blade that has nothing to do with the opening hole. You need to get permission from Spyderco at least.
I find trademarking a hole stupid of course.

Back