Suggestions for a good (affordable!) Switchblade Gift?

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is celebrating a milestone soon and he loves switchblades.

Any suggestion on what to get him? I'm looking to spend $50, lol, which I know probably isn't much for a blade but thought I'd try.

Please email me at christinenyc@hotmail.com. Even if it's for an odd kind of gift, like a carrying case or repair kit or something...

Thanks in advance!
Christine :)

Welcome to the Forums, Christine!:)

Unfortunately, you won't find an auto in the $50 range--at least one that would be of reasonable quality. Autos will go from the $150 and up price point.

Maybe as an alternative--a good sharpening kit like the Spyderco 204?? Just a suggestion.

Hello Christine,

A Spyderco sharpmaker (www.spyderco.com) is an excellent suggestion.

In answer to your question (and aside from the legal issues of owning/buying switchblades), the best bang for your buck might be a Microtech LUDT (www.1sks.com).

You can see some "accessories" for knife knuts at www.tadgear.com

Another good idea (in your price range) might be a pair of Hatch cut resistant gloves.

Good luck,
RL

Welcome to BF Christine.
You have gotten some good advice here since a decent factory auto will start at 100.
Going to move this to the Blade Discussion area since a decent Custom auto would be toungh to find at 500.00.

I'm not an expert on automatics, but I think I've seen Blackie Collins Benchmark Sidewinders on the secondary market for around 50 bucks, 70 bucks or so from the Internet dealers. Not a Microtech, but certainly a decent auto.

Jack

I know that Boker has come out with a new auto, that is quite good quality for less than $50, if you know where to look. There is a local seller in my area that was selling them for $35 at a gun show. They were definitely a steel at this price, as I've seen them going for over $100 on BladeAuctions.com If I would have had the cash, I would have bought at least two of them, theoretically. I really have no idea how you'd be able to find a dealer in your neck of the woods, but if I'm able to find an address, or number for the local dealer I saw, I'll let you know. I'll have to check in my dresser when I get home. Email me to remind me to check...

ddorn777@hotmail.com

DD

P.S. I am, in no way condoning the illegal importation of switchblades, only passing on what is considered common knowledge.

Considering the legal issues involved, and the fact that your in NYC, unless you and your freind are in Law Enforcement, or the Military, I would recomend a nice semi-auto like a Kershaw/Ken Onion, or a Blackie Collins/Meyerco Speedster, The cheapest quality autos being Bench Mades Starting at about $150, than again unless you meet one of the above requirements getting it legally shipped will difficult.

Good Luck and welcome,

I recently procured a small Hubertus auto for my father-in-law from blade auction ($70) great gentlemans auto. If this is a really good friend go for a MT udt for around $100 great user and very impressive. rjayknives has a great selection on the hubertus and I know a good man in florida who can assist you w/ the mt.

Give these guys a try The Knife Shop . They are in Austria (it's a long ways from here I know, at least you will know it's not a fake from Tijuana), but it's run by a great guy that will give you very personal service (in English) and they have quite a few autos in your price range, including over a 12 Hubertus autos any where from $53 to $110 (all prices are listed in Euro and US Dollors). They have 19 different auto brands/catagories listed with everything from Russian/French/Itallian/OTF/Boker/Kissing Krane autos and even a few Microtechs from the good ol'e USA to name a few. I and my borther-in-law (who turned me on to them) have bought several knives from them (no none of them an auto, take a look at thier Damascus Lockbacks @ $150 or less!) and have always been pleased.

I never actually owned a Böker Speedlock, but I rarely hear a positive comment about ´em.

Christine, as others stated, $50. is not much for a quality auto. Do you know what other types/brands of switchblades your friend has. If he is into quality knives, Microtech, ProTech, MOD, etc., he won't be impressed with a $50.00 knife. On the other hand, if he is just a guy that likes things that go click, you can get him a decent clicker. For a modern style, the Boker is a nice knife for the $. The Hubertus is also of decent quality. If you are looking for the classic Italian style, Blade auction has many to choose from. I would recommend that you check out blade auction.
http://www.bladeauction.com/osauction.shtml
You have to register to bid on a knife. Just remember you get what you pay for. The $20.00 knives are mostly Chinese junk.
As T. Erdelyi pointed out, the Kershaw "speedsafe" line is a great alternative and opens just as quick as a "switchblade". Even better, they are legal to carry. Go to the top of this page, click on store, select by brand, Kershaw. Just be sure the knife is listed as a speedsafe.

Back