Suggestions for EDC in Queensland, Australia

I will be living in Queensland, Australia this summer, and am looking for something to everyday carry that aligns with the knife laws there. I have already done my research on the laws there and while most knives are illegal, there is a statement that states that "a person may carry a pen knife or Swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose". Another thing that may be noteworthy is that one must have a valid excuse for carrying a knife if they do so, such as for work, fishing, etc, if it is any other type of blade.

My initial thoughts are some small slip joint or Swiss army type blades, but I am also looking into multi-tools for everyday carry as well since those serve a purpose other than just being a knife and cover the "reasonable excuse" part almost by themselves. Something with a pocket clip would be preferred, but I suppose not necessary. Smaller is definitely better in this case, and something with form as well as function is ideal.

Been looking at the Spyderco Clipitool lineup and Boker Tech Tools mostly.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Regards

You still need to mind your self, and what will pass out west, or in a small town will be very different than the Brisbane CBD. I would only go with pocket clips if you are in a location where you see leathermans on belts. Otherwise, bottom of the pocket is going to be the go. My general dailies are spyderco pingo, roadie, SAK compact, Explorer, or Pioneer X. Keep in mind that reasonable excuse does not cover going to and from work, so best to keep the bigger knives stowed on the way to and from, or even while on the way to the trail or beach. And certainly not when going into any sort of drinking establishment. Never been wanded going into the pub, but depending on your crowd/location it can certainly happen.

Back