Suggestions for good kitchen knife set?

I'm looking for a decent quality kitchen knife set to replace an old Chicago Cutlery set. A good five to seven piece set will suffice. I was wondering if anyone here had a favorite manufacturer. Camillus seems to make an okay looking set. Cold Steels looks alright, but most of their knives appear to be serrated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Hattoris are nice. Spyderco stuff is decent and Victorinoxs are good for the price.

Get a couple of Mutekis from Murray Carter and don't look back. A Wabocho and Funayuki-bocho will take care of most everything. Wish I figured that out sooner:confused:

I also like Globals if you want to stick with mass-produced lines.

Hattori, Carter, Haslinger, and Tichbourne, in no particular order.

A friend of mine has a set of Wusthof Trident and they're awesome.
I've owned henkels and I think they're great for the money.
Also had a friend who worked for cutco who claimed they were the best. Then again I won't buy from cutco because the sales reps are psychotic and don't have a clue how to answer a question (this goes for my friend as well). Oh yea, don't try and tell them that they're blades are serrated. For some reason that led to an hour explanation that goes nowhere. I think they brainwash they're employees:confused:

Good Luck finding a new set.

Look very closely at Forschner as a best bang for the buck. I have mostly Henkels and Forschner and believe the latter to be a better value.

The customs mentioned are very good. For a production line, I like the Wusthof with the grand prix handles.

You may be interested in checking out the Mundial line of fine kitchen cutlery. The knives, unlike many, are forged. Stainless steel keeps maintenance requirements at a minimum.

I have a set of Messermeister Meridien Elite, which I picked up following Chris Reeve's recommendation. They are fantastic, well balanced, comfortable and scary sharp -- the best kitchen knives in my opinion.

Back