SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: Gun Hammer Torpedo or Bowie blade?

This very same morning I found out about HTM knives and since I was thinking about buying a new folder I am about to pull the trigger and get one Gun Hammer.

I am pretty sure I will go with an assited opening version since I don't have any AO so far and I would like to try it. Also I am not a fan of coated blades because in my opinion they look like crap once they are scratched.

What I am not sure about is if I should go with a Torpedo or Bowie blade. I think that with a Sharpmaker I sould be able to touch up either one so sharpenning is not a problem.

Regarding use, I plan to use to... well... any task I use my folders now! Food prep, openning packages, cutting ropes of several diameters and materials (climbing, although I do carry a Spyderco Rescue as a main blade for that), etc. Nothing fancy.

Suggestions about the blade shape? Any knife in hand pictures btw?

Mikel

Do you have an aesthetic preference? I have both, and they both look and perform great. My personal preference is the torpedo, but the Bowie is growing on me. The only one I don't particularly like is the radian. I haven't noticed much difference performance-wise in the others. Choose the one you think looks best.

I prefer the torpedo. I started off more interested in the Bowie, and bought two (assisted and manual) then I got a torpedo blade. I've since sold my Bowie blades as they were seeing zero pocket time. As pointed out, the blades probably have similar performance...I just found I preferred using the torpedo blade.

Thank you both of you for the suggestions. However I must say that after going back and forth between bowie or torpedo... I ended up buying none of them. I will probably do it in the future but will surely ask for help to someone there in the US.

I started reading reviews about the Gun Hammer on the internet to find as many in hand pictures as possible and I came across a few reviews on Youtube which highlighted some issues with the knives. I am talking about the up-down blade play issue and the thumb studs bending (probably due to the high strength of the AO springs and the thumb studs working as blade stops).True that customer service from HTM is second to none and they do make it right but... living in Spain on the other side of the pond totally rules out any chance of shipping the knife back to the manufacturer to get it fixed. We do have issues with pointy/sharp objetcs over the mail. I can't afford to get it returned. I once got involved into an amateur knifemakers Christmas exchange here in Bladeforums and it was a nightmare to get it across the ocean.

That's why I stated that I will request some help from you guys... I preffer to pay for the knife and get it shipped to someone elses place, get him to check the knife and then pay him to ship it to Spain (and some spare change to cover gas, time and the inconvenience).

Thanks!

Mikel

I would honestly suggest you buy direct from HTM, and request that Lacey check the knife out personally. I'm sure they'd be cool with that. Shoot me a PM though; if that doesn't suit, I'd be happy to help out.

I've been impressed with my dealings with Lacey. I think using Lacey is an excellent suggestion.

Hi Guys, We went through a period when we had some bad eggs in our hen house.
Our quality is greatly improved since the time of the YouTube video's. Please look at the dates on them. We got egg on our face from those few knives that went out and we have really stepped up our inspection. We are not perfect by any means but we are aware of and have addressed many issues. Give us a call if you have questions. Lacey will take care of you like you are her own children. LOL!!!!

Darrel, thanks a lot for the information! I am glad to see that those issues have been shorted out.

Mikel

Back