Super Wegner?

Is there any truth to the rumour that there is an upcoming version of the large Wegner which improves upon the current model?

Tell me more about this rumor!
smile.gif
Maybe there'll be a Wegner with the new "compression lock" on it! I better start saving up some $$$ for those!
smile.gif

~Mitch

I think that if you do a search on this forum you will find that there is a plan to introduce the Wegner with a VG 10 blade!

I don't remember if the discussion included a new lock at that point.

As I recall, I say the thread sometime between the early November and Christmas.

Mike

It was my understanding that the new Wegner will use VG-10 for the blade and will either have a new spyderlock or a linerlock that is done like the Military and Starmate. It is also my understanding that they have alot of parts left to make the Wegners as they are now and will use those up before they produce the new ones. So, unfortunately it may be a little while
frown.gif

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by shootist16:
It was my understanding that the new Wegner will use VG-10 for the blade and will either have a new spyderlock or a linerlock that is done like the Military and Starmate

What exactly is the difference between the Wenger and the Military/Starmate linerlock?

The Wegner uses a full liner lock. The Starmate and Military use the nested liner.

Upgrading the Wegner is a tough thing to do. Improving the steel is easy, but what else?

One of Tim's "hot buttons" seems to be reducing the weight, but after you discuss it for about 5 minutes, it strikes you that the weight is part of the charm! Some things in this area that he's thought about are the nested liner, and reducing or eliminating the heavy backspacer (Nooooo!).

He's also talking about putting in holes for a reversible clip.

We talked about the lock, and he's mulling over new mechanisms, but the way the Wegner locks up, with a simplistic design, why mess? The strength tests on the liner lock yielded what Lynn Thompson said were the highest weights he'd ever seen on a liner lock.

If anyone has specific thoughts, or would like to brainstorm, the surplus of parts for the current design means that there's plenty of time to give Tim a call and talk about what you like in the C48, and what you'd like to see changed.

It's also a good way to get on the early list for the Mouse!
smile.gif

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

Excellent responses. Thank you everyone. This forum is awesome. My impression of the Wegner is that it would be tough to improve on, except maybe by upgrading the steel, which will in turn up the price as well. Since I'm a big fan of ATS-34 in the first place, this alone won't be enough to sway me from my current C48. What an awesome knife!

A reversible clip for southpaws - and anyone else who wants it accessible to the left hand, as in a back-up capacity - sounds like a great idea to me. That sure would be an improvement to an already excellent knife!

Regards,

Leo Daher

Back