Superman is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, all I wanted to do was pay my respects to the guy. It'll be a long time before I try to eulogize another person on BFC. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What are you talking about Trane Fan? There's a lot of great tributes to Christopher Reeve in this thread. I enjoyed reading it.

jsmatos said:
What are you talking about Trane Fan? There's a lot of great tributes to Christopher Reeve in this thread. I enjoyed reading it.
I agree that there were some very nice comments but I could have done without Koj11's comments as well as the ensuing responses. Death is just a touchy subject with me these days given that in the last 5 weeks I've lost a close friend/former co-worker and had to tell a Mother that her first born had died. It may be my gentle southern upbringing but I don’t think a man's death should be fodder for "philosophical muscle flexing". Just let the guy rest in peace. I don't mean to be touchy but like I said it's been a difficult few weeks.

trane fan said:
It may be my gentle southern upbringing but I don’t think a man's death should be fodder for "philosophical muscle flexing". Just let the guy rest in peace.

It may be my rough Yankee upbringing but I agree with Trane_Fan.
Sorry to hear what a crappy few weeks it's been.

Ren the devils trailboss said:
and obviously when you get called out for your beliefs the safest thing to do is get angry and defensive. So much for a teachable spirit...your opinion was wrong and people told you that..what did you expect a parade in your honor? a freedom of speech medal? the smart thing to do as a newbie here would have been to just shut up. But now you back pedal and claim that you said he was was generous.. what you actually said was his monetary contributions were generous and helpful to a degree...thats like saying to your wife..well your sort of good looking..Deal wit it dude..you got called out and its no big deal you just :footinmou

Opinions aren't wrong or right. That's why they're opinions. I should have just shut up? Why? Because my opinion is different than yours? And then you actually throw out a "deal WIT it dude"? That's bright...

Guess what? In life you're going to find lots of people with lots of opinions on lots of things that differ from yours. Does that mean their opinions are wrong? Nope. Does that mean they should bow to your superior opinion and just shut up? Nope again. Way to go nazi.

TorzJohnson said:
koj11, I don't think you're callous or cold hearted, just stupid. According to your logic, the only way he could avoid being a shitheel would be to predict the future and support spinal cord injury programs before he got one himself, or just not do anything at all. I hate to think of all the money he probably wasted donating to other charities for injuries/diseases he didn't actually end up with.

It was a stupid thing to say, and you know it.

Another personal attack. Note I didn't start out calling anyone names here. Anyone else want to throw out some insults because you don't agree with my opinion?

Here's another open statement that many people here won't like I'm sure.

Anyone who thinks that people with opinions different than theirs is stupid is only fooling themselves. Hear an opinion you don't like? I know...throw some insults out. Some name calling even. Way to go with showing some intelligent comments people. It still surprises me sometimes that in this day and age there are people who actually think others aren't entitled to not only have an opinion, but voice it without the fear of insults and name calling.

Koj11, I’ll ask you nicely to take this tirade to W&C. I did not intend for this thread to turn into some immature, testosterone driven p155ing contest. Please go away.

If you have an opinion, be prepared to give your reasons. And uneducated opinion is the biproduct of ignorance. You said something that called into question the integrity of a man who died, that's something you should be able to defend. There's a difference between choosing between chocolate and vanilla ice cream and deciding if a man's efforts and accomplishments for just shy of a decade were right or not.'

Edit: Trane fan, I'm sorry to have participated in the hijack of your tribute thread, and I'd be more than happy to bring this to W&C with anyone else who would like to debate.

koj11 said:
Opinions aren't wrong or right. That's why they're opinions. I should have just shut up? Why? Because my opinion is different than yours? And then you actually throw out a "deal WIT it dude"? That's bright...

Guess what? In life you're going to find lots of people with lots of opinions on lots of things that differ from yours. Does that mean their opinions are wrong? Nope. Does that mean they should bow to your superior opinion and just shut up? Nope again. Way to go nazi.

Calling me a Nazi isnt going to win you any friends here pal..and allow me to clarify. first you posted a callous opinion. Second you got blasted. third you got angry and defensive. fourth I told you as a newbie you should maybe keep strong opinions to yourself untill you learn the lay of the land and to shut up Fifth you call me a Nazi..

I could care less if your opinion is completly different than mine pal..its the fricken internet for cripes sake..and no kidding Im going to find differing opinions than mine! I never said my opinion was superior to yours..I said your opinion is wrong and hypocritical. If you think its right..bully for you! And I did not ask you to bow to my opinion..and I didnt call you a Nazi..

Your problem is that myself and many others in this thread disagreed with you and you are the one who got all pissed off..defensive..and started calling people names....but some people cant just learn something and say "wow I never thought of it that way before thanks guys..I guess I learned something" nope not you..you got to get all p.o.d and call me a Nazi..well thanks..coming from you thats a compliment.. :barf:

Look people, this is getting blown way out of proportion. Of course his help with paralysis causes were, at least partially, selfish. As has been pointed out, how could they not be? All I said in my initial comment was that I have mixed feelings about the situation. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That certainly was not my intenion. I guess I'll take my opinions somewhere else where people can actually hear something they might not agree with without calling names and telling people to shut up because they don't think like them. Once again, I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm done with this thread and probably this board as well.

I really enjoyed "Superman II". Remember Lex Luthor?
"Superman, thank God!! I mean--get him!"

I don't know how many people saw it, but 1994's "Village of the Damned" was trashy fun.

A thought just occured to me after reading this thread.
Yes we all have opinions as koj11 has said.
The only thing that is different saying it on a forum(like this) and saying it face to face is you don't know the age of some of the people who are voicing an opinion.
In real life I deal with people and situations and opinions all the time.And beleive me some of these younger people do not have a clue.Or couth,as my beloved mother used to say.
The older I get the less I think of our youth.
Of course that is only an opinion.
Randy

Needle has not finished high school, but is a splendid citizen. I don't think today's youth are any worse than my (30s) generation.
I think a lot of our problems came from the youth of my parents' generation...and some of the "adults" of the time too (the 1960s).
In every generation there are some very impressive people--and some very unimpressive ones.

"Superman II" was a lot of fun. I need to rent that soon. Haven't seen it for years.

I hope I don't need to remind you all that this is the Community Forum and I will not tolerate personal attacks on anyone in the forum so long as I am a moderator here. I will also not tolerate racist, derogatory comments. The exchanges that have gone back and forth have been heated and blown out of proportion.

Koj11,

I highly suggest that you read the sticky at the top of the Community Forum page. Learn it, follow it. As a new member here you really need to get a feel for how things flow around here before you post. Especially the Community Forum. Think before you post. That goes for everyone.

To everyone else,

This thread is locked. Take a deep breath and cool out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back