SureFire 10x Dominator Review

Tim Flanagan

Moderator - Auto Forum
SureFire 10x Dominator Review

View

Well, after nearly a month with 10x, I've come to several conclusions:

1. This thing is POWERFUL! With the standard 60 lumen lamp with a runtime of 3 hours, you're looking at a good duty/utility light. Throw on the hi-output lamp and you've got a rechargeable nightfigter capable of really throwing the light a good distance that won't burn through six DL123A's at a pop (runtime rivals the M6 at 18-20 minutes @ 500+/- lumens). Swap out the 60 lumen/ duty lamp for the high output optional lamp module that pumps out 110 lumens for 90 minutes (better option most of the time, IMO) and you've got 8NX power for almost double the runtime. Push a little harder on the unique two-stage switch (more on that later) and you're knocking at 550-600 lumens for the ultimate handheld flashlight (keep in mind that the 110 + the 500 lamp drops the runtime to approximately 10 minutes, and generates a LOT of heat.

As for distance, the M6 seems to have a slight advantage- the uniformly round, (2.5" diameter for both the M6 and 10x- although the 10x’s is cut flat by the split) reflector seems to carry farther than the 10x's split, two-sized reflector.

View

2. This thing is tough. I purposely dropped it off our 12' high deck onto the still-frozen lawn: no damage. Dropped from the other side of the deck onto the stones below the deck: results-no damage save a few small abrasions in the handle. It was also dropped on asphalt (accidentally) from waist-high with no damage. My teething 6-month-old son also seems to like the 10x- he's drooled over much of it and it hasn't leaked so far.
biggrin.gif

3. This thing is BIG and HEAVY compared to other SureFires, but is still small and light compared to such things as Maglites. My 4D Mag with rechargeable NiCads and a Badgelight weigh in at 40.0 oz. The 10x clocks in at 19.95 oz, and puts out a LOT more light than the Mag can ever hope to. I didn't even bother to see what my 6D c.1987 Mag weighs.
wink.gif

View

4. SureFire has missed a great opportunity to brag/advertise/capitalize on the new two-stage switch in the handle of the 10x. The switch is a great piece of engineering. Compared to the 9N’s 2-lamp setup whereby you had to search for the correct placement (should have a detent to catch it if you ask me) to activate the low power lamp by rotating the bezel, the 10x allows you to just press the rear switch for the lower power setting and just press a bit harder (nothing hard about it) to activate both lamps. You can also use the duty lamp by rotating the head to leave it in the “on” position. This leaves just a light press on the tail switch to activate the full power option. Alternatively, if you really want to blind someone/thing, you can just turn the head another 2/3 turn and you’ll get full power without a switch at all- very nice setup! I’m surprised SF hasn’t touted this feature.

View

5. The battery isn’t user-accessible. Rather, the entire handle assembly is the “battery”- if you want a spare just get another handle and it can be charged while you are using the 10x. Granted, the 10x handle/battery module is more expensive than the B90 or B92 of the older SF rechargeables, but it has the charging mechanism built into the handle as well as the it incorporates the switch. Kinda neat.

6. When standing vertical it resembles the leg of some “star wars”-type robot critter.
biggrin.gif

View

Also, it has one place on each side of the bezel that would allow attachment of a lanyard/snap-ring for other-than-hand carry- no sheath/holster yet, although Blackhawk Industries said they’d work on one once the 10x was released.

The entire kit comes with the rapid (2 hour) recharger, T210 power supply, the 10x with the 60 lumen lamp installed (MN30) and the 500 lumen lamp installed (MN31). The evaluation copy I received also contained the high-power, optional lamp – the MN32. The lens is Lexan and the body is a heavier duty (seems to me) version of the Nitrolon as seen in the 8NX and G2, and incorporated rubber grip panels along the handle that have the SureFire logo. It also comes with an allen wrench to allow removal of the reflector to change out lamps.

Overall, it’s quite a...dominating lighting tool. Full bore retail is $349.99- same price as the M6 in a larger, rechargeable, more powerful package. You can see the full size images at (as well as some not posted here): http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1231790&a=12666020&f=0

------------------
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives
noreastknives@bigfoot.com

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

[The other one is to please read the groundrules for the Auto forum at: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001211.html ]

[This message has been edited by Tim Flanagan (edited 04-23-2001).]

Thanks Tim. I've been waiting for this one! Great review and much appreciated.

Wow! Gotta get one. Who's selling them? How's the grip on it? The thing I hate about my 8X is that it always seems to be slipping out of my hand... I like my 6Z much better, recharging and light output aside.

Well so as not to be completely crass, drop me an email and I'll tell you if I am.
smile.gif

The grip is great- it's oval so you can get a better purchase, especially with the rubber side panels. It will still roll fairly easily, but not as easily as your 8X or other completely round lights. The other plus is the switch- -it's momentary on only just like the 8NX but it's a unique/new two-stage switch that allows for a light push for 60/110 lumens (depending on what lamp is in there) or a slightly harder push for the full 500+ lumen treatment. Really well designed IMO. It's my new favorite SF next to the E2 (which is a heckuva lot easier to carry in my pocket!).
biggrin.gif

------------------
Regards,
Tim
Nor'east Knives
noreastknives@bigfoot.com

There are two rules for ultimate success in life.
Never tell everything you know.

[The other one is to please read the groundrules for the Auto forum at: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001211.html ]

Back