Surefire vs. Fenix

Sorry, not to hi-jack the OP's thread can anyone tell me why it seems like 99% of all higher end lights have the texture of a metal file. And what of the many unusual shapes like a lot of the Surefires? I know about the defense type bezels but what about the bodies? Thanks. -DT

The textured body helps you get a better grip on the light. I like it. I also have the E1B and LX2 which have a "melted" body style that while still grippy, doesn't tear up my dress pants when clipped.

Regarding body style, lots of it has to do with the heat output given off by the light. Other then that, I'm not really sure. Was there a specific flashlight you thought looked unusual?

I am comparing 2 lights that are about the same size and have variable light output. Doesnt seem weird to me. Again I am not saying Surefires arent good. They are just overpriced.

I am comparing 2 lights that are about the same size and have variable light output. Doesnt seem weird to me. Again I am not saying Surefires arent good. They are just overpriced.

By the same reasoning so are all CRK knives, Busse knives, etc. ;)

Lol....I guess you have a point. I am sure that most people would think that about 99% of the gear I buy.

Lol....I guess you have a point. I am sure that most people would think that about 99% of the gear I buy.

Heck I'm still not used to the slack jawed expressions people give me after asking how much my SMF CC costs. :p

The textured body helps you get a better grip on the light. I like it. I also have the E1B and LX2 which have a "melted" body style that while still grippy, doesn't tear up my dress pants when clipped.

Regarding body style, lots of it has to do with the heat output given off by the light. Other then that, I'm not really sure. Was there a specific flashlight you thought looked unusual?

Gotcha thanks! The textured body...I hate it. I would rather have a modded up plain G2 where the bezel is also plastic. Doesn't scratch, doesn't feel like sandpaper. I guess for a tactical light a serious grip might be a little better but for just about everything I use a light to do I much prefer the plastic. And it costs less. The heat implications is something I'll have to learn more about, the shapes just look uncomfortable. As I said I had a Streamlight that was rubber sleeved except for the bezel again. I don't want something that's that soft but I don't want to carry around a file either. Thanks for the info. -DT

Knurling is grippy. That is one way to compare flashlights - how do you like the knurling. I like a more pointy knurling, i.e. an aggressive knurling.

Between Fenix and Surefire, I'll take Surefire. Surefire offers a higher quality and more durable finish. I gave away my only Fenix as the finish was visibly wearing after a very short time of use and that just wasn't confidence inspiring.

I note that I usually use CR123 lights and from Surefire am only interested in the two cell lights. If you want to use less expensive batteries, I have tried battery tube extenders that allow 2-4 AA batteries to be used with the E-series lights with good results.

Personally, I use Surefire KL1 and KL4 lights with beamshapers mostly, with Surefire C2 lights equipped with Malkoff drop-ins used when I desire a more hand filling light.

As for the U.S. versus China made issue, I'd recommend looking at the discussion at the MUYSHONDT site. Something to think about.

The Fenix LD10 is one unbelievable small light lot of throw. By far my best 120 lumen flashlight at only 1-AA battery, in this class Very Very hard to beat.

4sevens, the company that initially brought Fenix stateside (as their distributor) and then ate their lunch (with their new Quark lineup) makes excellent, excellent lights. They are (IMHO, and I'm biased because the owner is my friend) a good deal better than Fenix and I recommend them often, as they are solid, bright, and relatively inexpensive. I even carry one myself (right now, a Preon II) as part of my EDC. They are the Spyderco of the lights world -- small, fast-moving, innovative, and offer the latest and greatest in LED technology at affordable prices.

However, Surefire really knows how to make a light. The lights just ooze quality, much like a Sebenza. They look good. They feel good. They work good. Not only that, they are pretty much the industry standard. You can take a 20 year old Surefire and upgrade it with parts from Surefire directly, or from others who build stuff based on, and for Surefires. I have now a Surefire C2 that puts out 300 lumens out the front and runs for 2 hours. It makes the path in front of me look like daylight. I have an E1E that puts out 230 lumens from the front and runs for half an hour. I can light up the side of a 30 story building with it. I can get a bulb for my E2E and some special rechargeables that makes it 500 lumens... for 10 minutes. A real scorcher. None of these come cheap, but there's something nice about having something nice enough to be worth upgrading, instead of dropping it for the latest model.

surefire and fenix are both excellent, surefires seem a bit more rugged & i prefer there weapons lites (both dedicated and hand held) though the fenix T series seems to be pretty good, for utility imho its fenix hands down, we are lucky to have such reasonably priced lites like fenix which perform so well, we didnt have 'em 10 yrs ago, it was a lot less competitive market back then,

I have a few lights and seem to have more Surefire than any others. I carry a SF L1 pretty much all the time. I do like and carry the Nitecore lights I have as well. The only Fenix lights I have is a few of the small AAA key chain lights, they are pretty good any way. I have never really had a chance to see much of the newer Fenix stuff but I was never really impressed by what they had on the books a few years back.

Could anybody tell me what the official Fenix web-site is? There are a few that look official, but I'm just not sure which is "it".

Thanks.

well my fenix has a 16 lumen setting and a 152 lumen setting,
i use the 16 for more EDC stuff, but i have it set to 152 for "tactical" stuff.
it has the type 3 hard anodized aluminum, tactical clicky switch, and has a cree bulb. and it cant be beat for 50 bucks.

seems like most of the surefire folks are the tacticool type rather than the practical folks. i love fenix / quark. i have a surefire on my glock. the only surefire ill ever own probably. fenix is where its at bang for buck. superb quality and warranty

Right on the "grippy" god knows it helps. also the body style is easier to mount on a gun. notice many are thinner in the middle than the ends? when mounting the light it won't be so bulky after they are placed in or on a mount.

Most of you are choosing Fenix because of the "bang for the buck" factor, but the OP asked which is better "excluding" price.

So if I offered you a FREE flashlight of your choice, between SF or Fenix, you would take the Fenix?

Not me, price not a factor, I'd take Surefire, and yes I have owned both.

The Fenix LD10 is one unbelievable small light lot of throw. By far my best 120 lumen flashlight at only 1-AA battery, in this class Very Very hard to beat.

Own one, excellent light. just got a new Surefire G2 LED, I love it. Like I posted earlier, there is room for both of these for me. Like comparing apples to oranges, I like them both.:thumbup:

Most of you are choosing Fenix because of the "bang for the buck" factor, but the OP asked which is better "excluding" price.

So if I offered you a FREE flashlight of your choice, between SF or Fenix, you would take the Fenix?

Not me, price not a factor, I'd take Surefire, and yes I have owned both.

I'll take you up on that offer :D.

But seriously, I'd probably make the same choice. The great thing about Surefire lights compared to Fenix is that many of the Surefires are great for upgrading. Heck, people are still buying up the 6P models for the ability to replace P60 dropins and add extra body tubes. Haven't really seen too many Fenix customizations, besides adding diffuser cones and whatnot.

Just read the specs on that little light - WOW! Might have to get it... some time. :thumbup:

Back