Surface Grinder Restoration & Belt Conversion WIP

I finally got found a surface grinder that was near me and in my price range. It is an older Delta-Rockwell circa 1951 Toolmaker grinder. I got it for 600$ delivered and placed in my shop which was a big deal for me since the machine weighs around 800lbs and I did not have the equipment needed to move it. It belonged to an older gentleman, a machinist by trade. This was in his home workshop but sadly he suffered a bad fall about a year ago (he is in his 80's) and had to move into a home. So that meant selling his house and his tools. :( His son also works in the trade (he is the one I dealt with) and got some of his Dad's tools but could not keep them all. We all know how things can accumulate in the shop don't we? So this is another incentive for me to do a good restoring and converting job since I would love for this gentleman come to the shop when it's all done so he could see that his tools (I also got a bandsaw and a drillpress) are still working hard and being taken care of. I know I sure would like that when I have to give up my tools someday.

So this will be partly to share the whole progress with you guys and as a future reference for someone who want to do the same. But it will also be for me to ask your help and advice, both of which I could not do without.

Let's start with a couple of pics of my garage/shop. As you can see, this will be the last machine that I can squeeze in there and even that will take a little bit of creative rearranging. Here you can see everything jammed to one side so we can maneuver the grinder in its place on the left.

And a pic with most everything put back in it's place. Still have to redo some of the lighting, shelves and add a duct for dust collection at the grinder but it looks like it will all fit. Let's call is cosy. ;-)

And finally the grinder itself. It needs a good cleaning but all in all it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for watching and following. I'll try and add regular updates. And of course feel free if you have any advices or questions. I know I will surely have many myself.

I believe you made an excellent buy, Pat. I was thinking twice that much at least and then where would I find one? Well, I will continue to get along without one. I figure every year more I get in at this age is a bonus, and to loose a bit more figure skin may hurt but haven't been all that bad. I know I still will enjoy your WIP. Thanks for what's coming ! Frank

I have the same surface grinder and it has served me well for 15 years.

No belt on mine though, I like stone wheels much better for there accuracy.

Frank, have you looked at Kijiji? I was also surprised of what I found on there. Not as many as if I lived close to Detroit or something but still a few. Maybe you get lucky like me.

Don, I've heard good things about belts and not being a machinist myself, I think it will be more forgiving. Plus the motor has to be replaced and I have been told that if the motor is not balanced like the original it can lead to finish problems. Not so much with the belts.

Patrice Lemée;12477260 said:
Don, I've heard good things about belts and not being a machinist myself, I think it will be more forgiving. Plus the motor has to be replaced and I have been told that if the motor is not balanced like the original it can lead to finish problems. Not so much with the belts.
The spindle is belt driven, motor doesn't need to be balanced or anything special. I used a 3/4 hp motor off an old squirrel cage fan.

I'll just bet Don will give you the type of grinding stone to use. If he says the stones work well why not try that first?
I may have some notes tucked away that Don Robinson once put up on what to use.
Well, Pat, my shop is as crowded as yours, or very close to it, and is 9' below ground level. I don't think I'll be buying any surface grinders. I did get a magnetic variable speed disc grinder in a trade with Rod Neilsen for a bunch of engraving tools and supplies for folder making. It has eliminated a lot of hand sanding on the granite surface. Where you are looking forward to many years of knife making to get this machine now is an excellent move. Frank

Last edited:
That's great, Patrice, congrats on the equipment score! I'll be watching this, an SG is high on my want list and I'll convert it once I get it, too. Carry on, and good luck!

I also have the same make grinder. Like Don, I get great results with Norton wheels. They work great! I love that little machine.

The right stone will get you to the thickness you want quicker than a belt and your piece will be flatter. This is especially good with folders! A stone will last me around a year, so the cost is minimal. I get around a 220 grit finish with a 46 grit wheel, so no need for different grit wheels, one wheel does it all.

A belt is nice for finishing flats on fixed blades, with belt grit changes. Really helps to strip the grit off the belt splice though.

Ideally it would be great to have two surface grinders, one with stone wheel and one set up for belts. That's my plan. :)

Patrice, I also notice yours has been converted to automatic, no hand wheels and what looks like some sort of air drive? Never have seen that done, but it's kind of cool. I think? ;)

Great score Patrice. I also have the same grinder, and have been using the wheel Don recommends with good results.
I've been thinking of converting to a belt thinking it would speed things up but am reconsidering after whats been posted here.

Will be following for sure.
Mark

Just as a voice to argue the other side, and not that I even have my own SG yet, it's common for makers to be able to remove .020" or even more in a pass with a belt converted surface grinder... as opposed to like .005" a pass with a stone wheel. That should get you there quicker. Ken Onion and some other folder guys were discussing this not long ago on USN like it was night and day...

. I get around a 220 grit finish with a 46 grit wheel, so no need for different grit wheels, one wheel does it all.

Ideally it would be great to have two surface grinders, one with stone wheel and one set up for belts. That's my plan. :)

Aahh 46H Pinks--- Life is good.
Ken.

Just as a voice to argue the other side, and not that I even have my own SG yet, it's common for makers to be able to remove .020" or even more in a pass with a belt converted surface grinder... as opposed to like .005" a pass with a stone wheel. That should get you there quicker. Ken Onion and some other folder guys were discussing this not long ago on USN like it was night and day...

I guess it depends on the machine, belts/wheel and operator. I know guys using belts that can't do .005" in a pass. I can do .020" with a stone wheel. That said, I'll likely have a surface grinder set up to run belts at some point, but right now I prefer a stone wheel. :)

Back