Surface grinding attachment or a Sieg mini mill?

I am now making damascus and I need to get a uniform thickness on completed billets to make my knives. I can't decide what would be better to invest in as I realize that a SGA for my 2x72 would do a fine job, but I can also use the mini mill for other functions as well. I'm looking for opinions from other guys, that may have used both ways in the past, and what your preference is.

Thanks guys

The mini-mill isn't going to do much for thinning Damascus billets. while the mini-mill is GREAT for many other things, but the SGA for thinning billets

The mini-mill isn't going to do much for thinning Damascus billets. while the mini-mill is GREAT for many other things, but the SGA for thinning billets
Wouldn't it work fine with a face cutter?

Small mills,especially tabletop models, lack the weight and rigidity to make precise cuts with a fly cutter or face mill. A billet would still need to be surface ground to make a weldable surface.

There's an old Bridgeport Model 1 in my work area at the day job. It needs a rebuild bad. It won't accurately fly cut or face mill aluminum.

Too much slop in the quill, spindle, and ways.

Keith is spot on. While I'm a complete newcomer to knife making, I've been doing machine work for some some. Trying to flatten/thin an already thin and irregular work piece on a heavy/rigid industrial machine would be a challenge. The task would only go downhill rapidly attempting it on a light/flimsy hobby mill. The surface grinder attachment is the proper tool for the job.

Back