Survival Axe ?

We all know that an axe can double as a knife if need be but I have often wondered if the design could be improved upon to make it perform more efficiently at cutting tasks. If this were so then we could confidently set out into the wilds armed only with an Axe and Small folder/Neck knife !
After seeing what a great job John did with his axe I'm sure he could bring any designs to life.
Here are some efforts from other makers and I feel the on at top right is the closest to what I have in mind so far but the grind is all wrong,it looks like a hollow gring when it should be convexed.

Any thoughts or ideas ?????

MyPictures1.jpg

I think that a feature I'd like to see in a small survival-type axe would be the ability to choke up on the blade with reasonable comfort and be able to use it more like an ulu. Both designs on the right could work like that. The Roselli hatchet at Ragweed has this feature as well.

I think that a feature I'd like to see in a small survival-type axe would be the ability to choke up on the blade with reasonable comfort and be able to use it more like an ulu. Both designs on the right could work like that. The Roselli hatchet at Ragweed has this feature as well.

You mean this one eh, I just think that the head on this would be lacking in weight a little limliting it's chopping ability !

r860.jpg

I think if you put a more taditional head on the TOPS MAX ( bottom left ) it would be real comfy to use !

The cost of making hatchets is apparently too high, as I really can`t seem to sell them. The 1/4" x 4" stock I buy for them is $46 by itself. Standard handles are 5" long for wood, but one of my suppliers sells the micarta in 10" pieced, which I normally cut in half for handles. For longer handles I would need to buy 2 of those, which means $20 for handles. I really don`t think anyone would buy one.

The cost of making hatchets is apparently too high, as I really can`t seem to sell them. The 1/4" x 4" stock I buy for them is $46 by itself. Standard handles are 5" long for wood, but one of my suppliers sells the micarta in 10" pieced, which I normally cut in half for handles. For longer handles I would need to buy 2 of those, which means $20 for handles. I really don`t think anyone would buy one.

Well the two TOPS axes in my pic are $149US and $179US and I doubt with their grinds that they would perform anywhere close to one that you made !

Would it be cheaper to use reclaimed steel to lower the cost? A 1/4inch thick L6 saw blades comes to mind as a source to start with. I also love L6 as a steel.

For my tastes, the BRKT Glenn Eagle Axe looks the most useful / functional and I have always been tempted to buy one but I rather spend the money supporting a custome maker.

I would. I keep on seeing those reviews, and they are tempting me. The only thing stopping me is I've ordered 5 custom knives in the last week. I think pitdog hit it on the nose, a hatchet that could be use for a camp knife and/or kitchen work, would be perfect.

Well the two TOPS axes in my pic are $149US and $179US and I doubt with their grinds that they would perform anywhere close to one that you made !

Challenge, design a hatchet, feather stick maker, kitchen prep, etc... , that John can make for under $150 w/orange G-10, and I'm in. After seeing your other design work, I know your up to the challenge.:thumbup: I normally use a Busse NMFBM for my chopper, so I'd be interested in hatchet, as long as it could do double duty.

Pitdog, I'll try to come up some ideas this week. Waiting for my 1st 2 knives from John. I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I like your design ideas (TTSK).:thumbup:

What about a bolo/recurved large blade(like a P). Maybe with a fuller near the top of the blade so it can be gripped and not have too much forward weight. There is a knife that looks kind of like it, I think it was called a Cobra knife from Bay Knife? Couldn't find any results.

Also thought of a hatchet with the reverse side slightly convexed with a blade. Maybe even contoured a little bit.

I think tomahawks can work well too, since you can use the head as a knife.

Condor Tools has some interesting designs too.

As far as the cost I'm sure it gets pricey. One way to cut down would be to forge and or use reclaimed steel. For handles the only way to cut down would be to buy bigger blocks, but then they have to be cut down.

Let`s see what you guys come up with. Only one catch, it cannot be more than 4" from edge to back of blade, otherwise the cost really gets out of hand :eek:

Back