survival rating

What are the survival rate precentages for the different environments? (Does the military keep track?) And how would YOU prioritize them in a easy to hard order? (pick two, season/area)

1. Winter
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Fall

A. Forest
B. Mountains
C. Desert
D. Jungle

Lets say that you get up from your keyboard and walk through your front door into one of these enviroments with only what you have on your person as you read this.

BUGS: This might not be a "fair" question, but what about "prairie" or "steppe"?

Man, anybody that can survive a ND snowstorm in January with what is on their person is close to immortal!!
smile.gif
(Especially, if the snow hasn't formed drifts yet, for you to dig a shelter.)

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

If I walked out the door, right now, with what I have on my person. I'd die. But then I'm in my socks and long johns, 'cause it's 70 in here, and I'm going to bed next, and it's about -20 outside.

Assuming I'm in clothing I typically wear for going from house to car to building in whatever climate I'm in, I'd say I'd have a good chance of surviving spring/summer/fall in most any temperate climate. Desert would be tougher, and I'd feel less comfortable. But I believe I'd stick around for the 3-6 days I'd hope I'd be found in. (Someone once told me the average lost person in the woods in the US is picked up in 2 days. If ya can't manage that, don't go into the woods.)
Now, winter... Assuming you mean cold by that, depends on where I am... I was just recently introduced to Alaska, and there are places here that would kill me in what I would wear normally, with nothing else. I'd like to think I'm a confident little bastard, but there's some evil climate out here.
Anyways, Spring, summer and fall in the lower 48 states I'd be comfortable in all but desert. Desert conditions, or winter conditions, I believe I'd survive long enough for someone to come get me, but I'd hope I was better prepared...

Stryver

Back