Survival Sheath Systems Eval

Robert Humelbaugh
Survival Sheath Systems
10315 Cougar Place
Anderson Island, WA 98303
www.survivalsheath.com

"Battle Blades - The Forum" has been discussing sheathwork on several of its threads. How and in what an edged weapon or tool is carried has long been a topic of sincere interest for me harking back to the earliest days of Fighting Knives magazine and my stint as the editor of Soldier of Fortune's Battle Blades column. FK was the first cutlery publication to strongly explore and promote the use of Kydex in sheathwork, with such noted folks as knifemaker Robert Dozier and Tim Wegner mentioned early on. As the senior field consultant for KA-BAR it was my pleasure to see the first ever high quality Kydex sheath developed for the 21st Century KA-BAR fighting knife, courtesy of Tim Wegner at Blade Tech.

Robert Humelbaugh is founder and CEO of Survival Sheath Systems. Bob served our country for roughly 10 years in uniform. His duty assignments include a stint with the Marine Corps, the regular Army, and the ORARNG. In the Marines he was an Amtrack crew chief (89-93) with time spent in Panama, Iraq, and the Med. Serving in the Oregon Guard he competed as a shooter with the M24 sniper system and won Best Sniper in Oregon. He went on to compete in the Wilson P. Winston matches in Arkansas where he placed 16th in the nation on the long gun. As a grunt in the regular Army Bob enlisted (1995) as a forward observer, then went into Explosive Ordinance Demolitions. He finished up his service at Ft. Lewis and returned to civilian life.

Upon leaving the Army Bob went to work for Tim Wegner at Blade Tech. He was the firm's purchasing manager for roughly a year before a layoff saw him searching for a business of his own. With his new goal to offer specialized carry systems for survival tools (knives, guns, or 'hawks) he received Tim's blessing to open his own shop.

Bob is a fan of Jim Keating and has attended a Riddle of Steel. He enjoys knife and 'hawk throwing, knife combatives, and traditional bow shooting. Today he concentrates on designing and making high quality shoulder rigs and sheathwork for a vast array of personal offensive / defensive weapons and tools.

I asked Bob to make me a belt sheath for my dramatically revamped CS Master Tanto. I found the knife at a gun store several months ago. Someone with great expertise had reprofiled the blade so it now reflects the traditional Japanese tanto format as opposed to the Western tanto format pioneered by CS. This meant thinning the blade down and taking the chisel point to an upswept sword point. The result is a knife that is extremely quick in the hand (lighter) and an impressive slasher as well as thruster. It is also far more inclined toward utility taskings due to the more general utility design of the point.

I advised Bob he'd have to "squash" the standard Master Tanto sheath he normally provides for the stock knife due to the regrind done on mine. One thing I hate is the sound of a blade rattling around in a Kydex sheath and I was keen to see if Bob could fine-tune a sheath for me sans having the knife in-house to work with.

He did.

My new SSS sheath arrived in Olive Drab with a TecLok attachment piece. The TecLok was designed by Tim Wegner and is a very fast, very secure means of fastening a number of accessory items to one's belt or harness. I've worked with the TecLok from its earliest days and love it. However, I do agree with Bob that you HAVE TO locktite the screws once you have the TecLok adjusted to where you want it or they will back out (as all screws seem to do) over time and use. I've had this happen twice with accessory items I've evaluated for Tim (both items which I love, to include a SureFire equipment belt holder and M16 magazine holder). Fixing this problem meant simply adding a drop of Locktite to the offending screws and then getting on with business.

My SSS sheath for the tanto is a tight fit with 3/4 coverage of the knife when it is inserted into its holster. Insertion and the draw stroke are crisp thanks to Bob's insightful "squashing" as he formed the body of the sheath. The TekLok is nicely mated to the sheath's body and clips quickly onto belt or harness strap. I advocate Galco's very well made and sturdy leather pistol belts (for daily wear as pants belt) when carrying a mid to full size fixed blade and the Teklok rides very nicely on mine.

Bob also built a shoulder rig for the ATC Vietnam Tomahawk I am just finishing my field eval with. We added a companion knife (21st Century KA-BAR Fighting Knife) to the rig ('Hawk and Knife combo) and I am well pleased with the result.

Shoulder rigs are, in my professional opinion, specialty items of personal equipment. I've worn shoulder rigs since 1974 and found perhaps 3 such rigs that I liked enough to keep around. The first and best, quite frankly, was a JackAss shoulder rig set up for a Colt Combat Commander. That should date me way well for those who remember the JackAss (the leather folks, not me) product line, which I believe became Galco. :D

The ATC tomahawk (Eval to follow way soon, hang in there Andy!) is an interesting item to carry. The length of the handle and the all-business tomahawk head with its multiple fully sharpened edges and spike demand full protection of the user during either storage or field carry. The Tactical Tailor of Tacoma, Washington (plug for Logan and Company!) makes the OD cordura sheath as delivered by ATC when you buy a 'hawk from them. I recently took my ATC VN 'hawk to the field (Yep, it was jumped in along with my TOPS SF Command) and I stored the weapon in the TacTailor sheath given I carried it for this operation inserted down behind my exterior side pouch (right side) on my Large ALICE ruck. The TacTailor sheath is handy, secure, and protects the weapon and the user well.

Bob's Kydex scabbard for the ATC VN 'hawk takes full protection several steps higher on the performance ladder. The 'hawk is fully inserted into the scabbard and you are then fully protected from getting bit while actually carrying the weapon ON your person as opposed to stored/packed on an ALICE. The scabbard is attached to the shoulder rig via a well thought out screw system and can be adjusted via adjustment straps and black plastic buckles to ride comfortably on the upper body. The same holds true for the companion rig whether for knife or pistol. Fit and finish of the scabbards replicated what I saw with my tanto sheath. Tight, crisp, secure, and perfectly formed to the weapon / tool.

The cordura harness system is adjusted using a simple system of buckles and Velcro closures. I quickly adjusted my harness to my frame (6'2, 225 pounds) and found it wonderfully comfortable. The 'hawk hangs cleanly and can be fully concealed by wearing a 3/4 vest or jacket. One needs to CAREFULLY and slowly practice the draw stroke for both the 'hawk and knife, as well as reinsertion into the scabbard(s). However, once you get it down it becomes natural and is very, very fast.

I am very impressed with how securely both weapons / tools ride in the harness. They won't fall out or shift on you during everyday movement / activities to include running, rolling (although the 'hawk handle will getcha when you roll on it), and getting into and out of vehicles, boats, and aircraft. Likewise Bob builds in the necessary stand-off space inside the scabbard so accidental penetration of the knife's point or 'hawk's edges / spike are reduced to near zero.

I like this shoulder rig for edged weapons very much. It is very comfortable although I don't see wearing it underneath a load bearing vest or harness. One would then have too many straps, snaps, and things that will catch and snare in the field environment. I do see where this rig is great for wearing on a range when you're often stripped down to a fatigue or t-shirt, and have a pistol available in a drop holster (SAS style thigh rig). It is also a great rig for wearing in a base camp or while traveling on the roads or in a boat. If you are blade trained and inclined such a set-up is very personal and certainly specialty in nature. It is also mission specific, as well.

The rig does not bunch up or sag under the combined weight of the 'hawk / knife and again, the release of either edged instrument is sure and swift.

Bob designs and builds similar rigs for handguns and their accessories. One of his favorites is a shoulder rig set up for a Glock 32 with a mag lite / baton combo on the opposite side. He also attaches speedloader holders (Kydex) and SAK set-ups on his handgun rigs, as well. Bob points out he Locktites his shoulder rigs as he is building them so we, the end users, don't have to fuss with this.

IMHO if you're looking for exceptional sheath and holster work I have no hesitation in recommending Survival Sheath Systems as your one-stop shopping source. Bob's pricing is fair and well earned. His background clearly reflects why he understands the needs, nuances, and challenges faced by those who carry serious equipment for serious work. His schooling under Tim Wegner, and his professional courtesy in seeking Tim's blessing when he went out on his own, manifest Robert Humelbaugh's quiet professionalism as a craftsman and gentleman.

My sincere thanks to Bob for allowing the Forum to evaluate his work

:)

Sierra912

Fantastic review Greg! Very professional.

I have a few questions. First of all, was the weight easy to carry? By the end of the day, did it feel like you had gear pulling you down or were you still fresh and good to go? Would you recommend a shoulder rig for a hiker, or are these rigs more for self defense carry?

Thanks Greg! One of the greatest benefits of the electronic version of Battle Blades si that we can ask questions!

The weight factor was / is fine. No hassle or problem with the shoulder rig in this area. Very comfortable.

A shoulder rig for a hiker would probably work out okay as long as the straps on one's backpack or daypack are exceptionally comfortable. Meaning, well designed and well padded. I just picked up a set of just such shoulder and waist pads / belly band from Logan at the Tactical Tailor (Tacoma, WA). They are for my large ALICE (which I dearly love:) ). Did a 6 mile ruck on seriously challenging terrain last weekend with 45 pounds in the bag. The new straps and band were fantastic comfort wise.

Meaning, as long as your backpack is squared away carry-wise I don't think the shoulder rig would cause discomfort worn beneath the back or day pack. Nice about the shoulder rig, too, is you can wear it around the campsite and / or while fishing, or bird watching, or bouldering, and not have to worry about something hanging off your waist all the time.

I like having a really suitable working tool like the ATC tomahawk on me when in the field because you can do so many things with it that you cannot with a knife (duh!). The shoulder rig I have allows for both to be present which is a nice set-up utility or otherwise.

Trust that helps some.

"Humble Bob's" shoulder rigs are great!!!! I got one that that carries both the ATC NG spike ranger hawk, and a Newt Livesay RTAK.

Rob's a real professional about sheathing any blade he comes across. Sometimes he'll do two at once.

Hiya!
While I can't "compete" with Sierra 912's review, I thought I'd hop on in and comment about SSS.

I'm in posession of 4 of Robert's sheaths. Two of them are for the Simonich Neck Hatchet and the Hossom Ear Fighter mentioned in my signature, but I don't carry 'em anymore. (The folks at work got really nervous!)

But I DO carry 2 sheaths that SSS made!
One's for my Leatherman WAVE (An excellent sentry removal weapon... just watch "Proof of Life"! ;) )
The other's for my MicroTech SOCOM.
I wear both of these on my duty belt (along with some other nifty things, my favorite being a G-21, but I digress)
First, the Wave's sheath is just perfect. It's simple, reliable and holds the WAVE in place until I need it.
Pretty much a no-brainer, but still, executed excellently.
(That's fun to say, try it!)
The REAL bonus is the sheath SSS made for my SOCOM!!!!!

I explained to Robert (in an incredibly lengthy letter... I can't stay concise to save my life) that I wanted the SOCOM kept on my duty belt, support side, as one of the possible "things to grab" in the event that someone makes a grab for my weapon.
(I'm an armed guard, patrowling the streets of the lousy parts of Las Vegas, graveyard shift)
I asked if he could somehow make the sheath so that the knife would be somewhat snatch resistant.
Man, did he do a JOB!!
If someone tried just slipping it out of the sheath, someone can do it, but it'll take a LOT of effort (and by that time, I'll have dosed 'em with some 5.3 million SHU OC) but if you know the "trick", it comes out erffortlessly.
I was really blown away with his work.

Ok, I'm finished popping in...
VG

Back