Survive CRU V 4.7 1st & Second Outing Review

I used a Survive Cru V 4.7 ugly betty my first time doing wood prep from log to sticks batoning. It was a mess and I was lousy. Watched more videos, read a bit more and second outing was a snap.

New before outings.

30065112882_1591481799_c.jpg
30065113052_653845e040_c.jpg

1st Campsite, Motorcycle Camping Tellico Plains, TN

31893509061_597b10c0e9_c.jpg
31200710973_a907496bdf_c.jpg

2nd Campside, Stephen C. Foster State Park, Fargo, GA.
31200710193_a92f6e78ac_c.jpg

Dinner Fargo, GA

31636108700_d14a225578_c.jpg

Breakfast Fargo, GA

31862069252_806dae75f7_c.jpg

After wood breakdown and fire poking.

31893323031_5acdc0d1a1_c.jpg
31169757314_4a987e54de_c.jpg

and a little cleanup

31861862502_64594e7cca_c.jpg
32009981815_d14e5af37a_c.jpg

I'll mineral oil it before I put it away, but here are my thoughts.

1) Knife took a major beating with my amateur batoning skills. I broke down 15 logs at first site and another ~20 (some store bought) at the second site and Cru V held up well. No edge issues whatsoever and is still scary scarp with some areas snagging when cutting paper.
2) While the coating wear seems extensive, most parts are more rub marks than streaks of missing coating. Area where grind meets flat took most wear.
3) Didn't clean or wipe between trips and both had misty mornings 1st was freezing, second 50+F. No rust or corrosion issues with primary edge almost as shiny as delivered.

I'm impressed with both the knife (first survive) and the steel (first Cru V Knife)....Now sure is an Ugly Betty. I would happily buy another Cru V Knife from any reputable maker (missed a Kephart on the exchange a while back)....it's tough stuff. I have another 4.7 CPM154 Factory Second on order for milder use and recommend the 4.7 highly.

I was going to touch up on my 40 degree fine Sharpmaker rods, mineral oil it and put it back in my camping toolkit until my next trip. Any other tips on sharpening would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading......

I love it! Great review. Looks like a fun trip!

You put some serious use on that knife. I'd say I've put mine through quite a bit more wood work in the months that I've had it, but my cerakoting is holding up better. Maybe you experienced harder woods than what I've been batoning and cross batoning and carving.

After mineral oil, wear on coating very subdued. Seems like cerakote absorbed some oil?

31972979156_9d1c2d47a9_c.jpg
31170379164_acfff353b5_c.jpg

Dried and ready for sharpening touchup. Eh maybe not.....

31973116716_45b5a80c9f_c.jpg
31862716592_f923a842ec_c.jpg

Nice photo review and great looking patina on your UB. What did you use to sharpen your UB and how long did it take to get to a serviceable edge? Batoning is a great way to test a blade. It puts a ton of stress on the edge in several directions.

PS - Did you tow that RV trailer with your C class??

Have you tried free hand waterstones for sharpening? I just got some King stones 1000/6000 and found I can sharpen better freehanding then with shapemaker.. (with a bit of practice.)

Nice photo review and great looking patina on your UB. What did you use to sharpen your UB and how long did it take to get to a serviceable edge? Batoning is a great way to test a blade. It puts a ton of stress on the edge in several directions.

PS - Did you tow that RV trailer with your C class??

Haven't sharpened yet, still sharp but going to use sharpmaker 40 degree fine stone and strop...May just strop first to see how it goes.

RV is someone else's on another site, although my E550C (Biturbo V8) could easily tow it if the chassis could handle the stress.

Haven't sharpened yet, still sharp but going to use sharpmaker 40 degree fine stone and strop...May just strop first to see how it goes.

RV is someone else's on another site, although my E550C (Biturbo V8) could easily tow it if the chassis could handle the stress.

I have used a sharpmaker for years. One thing I found and you may already know, they get clogged up pretty quick and then you can end up not sharpening but just rolling your edge. Scrubbing the stones with barkeepers freind works wonder to get the stones clean and sharpening again.

Let us know!

My resolution for the new year is to strop more! I'd consider what I have on my 4.7 to be a serviceable working edge, so I want to dull it up a little more yet.

Let us know!

My resolution for the new year is to strop more! I'd consider what I have on my 4.7 to be a serviceable working edge, so I want to dull it up a little more yet.

If you looking for a good strop.. I recently got a few "knives plus" strops off amazon and they are day and night better then everything else.. The knives plus strops have a VERY fine cherry picked grain and come pre impregnated with green polish paste.

Free hand is great for when I want to pay attention to what I'm doing (or if the edge has taken damage and I need an aggressive stone) but for sharpening while watching videos the sharpmaker is great!
I really only strop to clean things up after the knife is sharp or to remove a stubborn wire edge when I come across one.
As for loading a stone it does happen, especially depending on what is stuck to your blade when you go to sharpen it.

Noah - Did you resharpen it? I banned the crap out of mine a few weeks ago and brought it back quick with my strop. I really love how fast it came back. No chips but the strop made quick work of the rolls/folds.

Noah - Did you resharpen it? I banged the crap out of mine a few weeks ago and brought it back quick with my strop. I really love how fast it came back. No chips but the strop made quick work of the rolls/folds.

Back