Survive! EDC-4 FFG

MatthewSB

Gold Member
Up for review is Survive!'s new EDC-4. This one is fully flat ground Magnacut (HRC 62 by Peter's) with linen handles. It is very impressive.

EDC4FFG 00.JPG

The 4.2" drop point blade is wide and flat and very thin behind the edge. It cuts better than any utility (non-kitchen knife) fixed-blade I've ever used. The stonewash finish is uniform and beautiful. The 62 HRC Magnacut sharpens easily to a very fine edge and holds it adequately.

EDC4FFG 03.JPG

The handle is slim but contoured just enough for a secure grip. The linen micarta has enough texture that, combined with the shape of the handle, provides a secure grip even when wet. It works wonderfully in a sabre or reverse grip - the slight 'hump' on the back of the handle begs for a Filipino grip (thumb on the spine) when held blade-forward. The spine and front of the handle is radiused slightly. The handle slabs are inset 0.010". Brilliant tricks to avoid having to hand-fit mass produced handles to a flat spine, where any variation will look and feel bad.

EDC4FFG 05.JPG

Survive's sheaths have always been top-shelf design and quality. The kydex that this one came with is perfectly molded and well-designed.

Overall the knife is 9.2" long and weighs 6 oz. It carries flat and feels nimble and balanced in the hand. The handle is just long enough for absolute comfort in my XL hands without any unnecessary extra length. Fit and finish is perfect, a level of quality I've only seen from CPK and TRC knives.

TLDR: this knife is light, carries flat and easily, cuts well, doesn't rust and holds an edge. Highly recommended.

are they in stock?

Yes. Mine shipped within 2 weeks. They have an in-stock section of their site. Each item says when it will be made. I wouldn't buy one that says "waiting on sheaths", but I have recieved two orders in the past year, that were listed as "shipping in 10-15 business days", within 2 weeks of ordering.

Hard to recommend a knife that you might only receive if Survive! deems you worthy to actually fulfill the order that you paid for.

I know that some people were mad when they "pre-ordered" knives that were supposed to ship in a certain timeline. I preordered 5 knives in 2015 or so. I recieved 4 of them within 3 months (I think, it was a long itme ago) then cancelled the order for the fifth when it wasn't ready within the original timeline. I was refunded almost immediately after sending an email.

I'm not here to defend Survive!, they got themselves into trouble by making promises for deadlines that weren't in their control. However, they seem to have their act together now. Anyone not interested in waiting months for a knife can shop the in-stock section of their site and get some very nice knives made to a very high standard.

Last edited:
It does look nice, but it's disingenuous to say they have their act together. I waited a year and a half for a GSO-6 and people are still waiting on orders from 2015 onwards. IIRC, there are also reports of people waiting for long periods of time for knives that were "in-stock". Just because a handful of knives got finished and put up for immediate sale doesn't absolve them of all the things they do wrong.

Edit: decided to check their site. These knives aren't in stock and "it could be a few months" until they are delivered. Don't give these people money.

It does look nice, but it's disingenuous to say they have their act together. I waited a year and a half for a GSO-6 and people are still waiting on orders from 2015 onwards. IIRC, there are also reports of people waiting for long periods of time for knives that were "in-stock". Just because a handful of knives got finished and put up for immediate sale doesn't absolve them of all the things they do wrong.

Edit: decided to check their site. These knives aren't in stock and "it could be a few months" until they are delivered. Don't give these people money.

I just checked and it says "Orders will ship in 3-10 business days." under the "in-stock" EDC-4.

I'm not sure where you were looking, I was looking under "available now - in stock". Spend your money where you like.

I'm not here to defend Survive!, they got themselves into trouble by making promises for deadlines that weren't in their control.
That may have been how it started...but it worked well enough that they did it again (and again?). Plenty of people weren't lucky enough to get a prompt refund - glad you did... and that you've been happy, overall with your experiences with them.
A word of friendly advice, though - don't downplay their history just because you got yours. They did a lot of people wrong.

That said, it's a good looking knife and I'd probably like it. (I've only handled one !Survive knife, and I did not like it)

Last edited:
That may have been how it started...but it worked well enough that they did it again (and again?). Plenty of people weren't lucky enough to get a prompt refund - glad you did... and that you've been happy, overall with your experiences with them.
A word of friendly advice, though - don't downplay their history just because you got yours. They did a lot of people wrong.

That said, it's a good looking knife and I'd probably like it. (I've only handled one !Survive knife, and I did not like it)

Good point, well-made. I just read back a ways, I had forgotten the multiple "starter" campaigns.

I personally am not interested in pre-ordering anything, but I am glad they have an in-stock option because they really can make great knives.

Hard pass. I'd hope a long time bladeforums member would steer clear of such a crap company but I'm really not surprised. Look at strider.

For any new folks reading this review, pass on this knife. Check out the history, and issues that's still ongoing with the company:

Up for review is Survive!'s new EDC-4. This one is fully flat ground Magnacut (HRC 62 by Peter's) with linen handles. It is very impressive.

View attachment 2358772

The 4.2" drop point blade is wide and flat and very thin behind the edge. It cuts better than any utility (non-kitchen knife) fixed-blade I've ever used. The stonewash finish is uniform and beautiful. The 62 HRC Magnacut sharpens easily to a very fine edge and holds it adequately.

View attachment 2358775

The handle is slim but contoured just enough for a secure grip. The linen micarta has enough texture that, combined with the shape of the handle, provides a secure grip even when wet. It works wonderfully in a sabre or reverse grip - the slight 'hump' on the back of the handle begs for a Filipino grip (thumb on the spine) when held blade-forward. The spine and front of the handle is radiused slightly. The handle slabs are inset 0.010". Brilliant tricks to avoid having to hand-fit mass produced handles to a flat spine, where any variation will look and feel bad.

View attachment 2358776

Survive's sheaths have always been top-shelf design and quality. The kydex that this one came with is perfectly molded and well-designed.

Overall the knife is 9.2" long and weighs 6 oz. It carries flat and feels nimble and balanced in the hand. The handle is just long enough for absolute comfort in my XL hands without any unnecessary extra length. Fit and finish is perfect, a level of quality I've only seen from CPK and TRC knives.

TLDR: this knife is light, carries flat and easily, cuts well, doesn't rust and holds an edge. Highly recommended.
I appreciate any honest review . Absolutely ! :) Your knife looks great and good review .

This maker's history here is not encouraging , however . 🫤

I just checked and it says "Orders will ship in 3-10 business days." under the "in-stock" EDC-4.

I'm not sure where you were looking, I was looking under "available now - in stock". Spend your money where you like.
I did just that. The knife you are showing people is not in stock. Only 3V saber ground models, and even that is only alleged given their history. If someone tries to buy the knife you reviewed, chances are they're going to be waiting a long time.

I'll keep warning people about scammy companies, thanks. A disclaimer about Survive Knives is basically mandatory on posts like these.

I'm interested if SK put a note with the knife saying : "if you like this knife please give us a good review on BladeForums". People that don't know the history would likely do it.

Nice review.... Appreciate your time and efforts..... Looks like a solid blade.....
Unfortunately the company is anything but solid in their treatment of people......
As.I used to say in my drinking days.....You're buying???? I'm flying!!!😜. If not. C U L8tr......

View attachment 2358772

View attachment 2358775

View attachment 2358776

Beautiful!!

Have pics of knife in sheath?

Back