"Survive Knives Bible" History, Facts and productions of Survive knifes.

notajerryskid

Gold Member
I have done some digging and read up on Guy and Ellie and Survive knifes. There seems to be some mystery with some of it. :) I wanted to do a so called "Survive Bible" thread. Something we can state the facts about survive and the history that is with it. I figure that they have an interesting story to tell.

Some if the information that I would like to include.

GSO stands for Guy Seiferd Original.

Founded on a Dare story - http://knifenews.com/survive-knives/

First prototypes ( pics and stories)

From member Methuselah

Besides the 200 of each 1st run model he also made around 200 edc4 models in 3v and 50 in elmax. There were very few early gso's made with customer requested handles like ironwood, corby bolts ect. The steels used and numbers of them produced would also be interesting to know as 3v, elmax, s90v, were used in the early ones. Also the prototypes were the 4,5 and 6 models and roughly 25-35 of each was made for 100 total for all the prototypes.

All the prototypes were made out of 3v. Guy's designs but most of the work was outsourced like Bark River did the grinds and sharpening on all the convex models and out of those many were not so great as far as the plunge lines being uneven- but they were prototypes after all.

RIZ history thread - http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1357068-Pics-of-some-Survive!-Knives-history!!

One of the first prototypes.

22nlv5.jpg

30mu6m9.jpg

144d07c.jpg

Prototype of the GSO 5
2s1oivs.jpg

Fist production runs. Time frame on when the knifes were introduced and produced.

GSO line - Necker, Necker 2, 2.7, 3.5, 4, 4.1, 4.5, , 5, 5.1, 6, 7/7, 8, 10, 12.

SK4, GSO 4.1, GSO 3.5

21sxav.jpg

SK- SK (s7)

First changes to the knives

Finish change, micro textured handles.

This is a prototype of the micro dimple handles.

mmplkm.jpg

I will update this with as much information as you guys can give me.

IF everyone thinks this is stupid say so and I will take it down. :)

Last edited:
Guy carved that cherrywood proto. Its located at a cutlery shop in Frederick, MD.

Last edited:
Back