Survive knives copy?

I'm just tugging you all's berries. I couldn't even imagine designing a usable knife these days without having it resemble something that has already been done. Somehow Survive has managed to do that. When you take a close look at a GSO, they really are quite unique.

Dang it man, next time put a grin or a wink after that confused face. I thought you were serious and not just a berry-tugger :D

If the Ambush knife is meant to be a competitor for me, that's cool, best of luck. It is a free market after all.

:thumbup:

Hearing things like this is what will keep me coming back for your work. respect.

Dang it man, next time put a grin or a wink after that confused face. I thought you were serious and not just a berry-tugger :D

Sorry, I've supported Survive form the beginning. I took that great leap of faith and signed up for the first pre order with only a simple sketch and a dream. Since then I picked up a few along the way. The GSO series really covers a wide range of sizes. What stands out for me is even though they are designed for hard use, the grinds and edges are still thin enough to do some cutting. Also, I like that Guy offers a few non-finger choil options.

EDIT: Corrected choiless to non-finger choil option.

Last edited:
I like this as well. The new 4.7 really has my attention, especially since it has no choil.

It does have a choil, just not a finger-sized choil notch. The "choil" is where the sharpened edge (from the plunge-line) meets the unsharpened ricasso, commonly featuring a notch/indentation for sharpening purposes. Knives without the notch tend to be unsharpened at the choil, though notable exceptions include Spydercos and Moras. Spyderco mis-uses the term "choil" to refer to a finger-groove that is cut into the tang/ricasso beneath the actual choil, which causes confusion among knife-enthusiasts :p *shrug*

It does have a choil, just not a finger-sized choil notch.

Yes, that is correct. My take on the 4.7 would have been more accurate if I had stated "...it really has my attention, especially since it has a sharpening choil rather than a finger choil."

If the Ambush knife is meant to be a competitor for me, that's cool, best of luck. It is a free market after all.

Having just received an Ambush Alpha today for testing / pass-around purposes, I'll tell you right now, they are trying to eat your lunch. No question.

This is an interesting thread. I spoke with Guy about this knife the other day when I called thanking him for resharpening some of my GSOs. FYI, he does an INSANE job resharpening knives, I digress. This simply justifies Survive! in the market as more of a main stream leader semi-custom knife maker.

Regarding the topic, is the Alpha a copy, maybe but not really. It has a similar blade design and the same steel but the handle and pommel are completely different. There is no hidden lanyard hole and the blade height is smaller. It's more of a cross between a 4.1, a 5.0 with a Spartan'esq pommel with scales that are fatter than S!K's. Personally I like Guy's overall design better but think the shorter blade height will give the Alpha more control when doing fine work.

This begs the question is BRKT going after S!K? I believe so but with their spin on a similar knife in 3v which more and more knife companies are starting to use, think B1 meets GSO 5. I also believe that Mike sees a gap in the market, that S!K has created, that he can fill with this knife and his mass production capabilities. However this isn't a big deal because Guy is about to release the Gen 2 GSOs and he's in the process of getting their manufacturing ramped to handle the big demand for his current products. But I also think Surivive! is going to have similar production issues that they've had in the past on a bigger scale when the gen 2 products come out. Instead of needing 700 units he's going to need 1400+ units to keep up with demand once the gen 2 GSO products start getting reviewed on YouTube and the web.

Having just received an Ambush Alpha today for testing / pass-around purposes, I'll tell you right now, they are trying to eat your lunch. No question.

Rasco! Where you been? Any updates on that Ambush?

Good bump obx. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Very cool you got to talk with Guy!

Back