Survive -Status?? & Cru Forge Questions

First of all this is NOT a bash Survive thread, it is an Inquiry.

That stated , it is a hard question which deserves truthful answers.

My questions are not out of school because I own 3, which I love.

GSO 4.1 in M390 which I purchased second hand
GSO 5.1 which I purchased from Survive -with no problems including cycle time
GSO 10 which I also purchased second hand

WTH is going on with these fine folks and their production / delivery cycle? The issues here seem to have persisted in one form or another for some time.

Elle is great and has always been helpful when we've spoken. I would love to purchase more but the last thing anyone wants to do is tie up $200-$300 for 8-15 months without receiving their purchase. That's an issue.

A reasonable response of the issue(s) and plan to resolve them would be great.
Leave the emotion out of it. Simple explanation is all that 's necessary. It's just good business

Finally- When or will they be producing the CRuForge again?

I don't recall the exact thread(s) right now, but several members - incl. esp. @Fancier and @chiral.grolim - have shared their thoughts about the causes for the bottlenecks and delays. These would include issues with contractors not delivering up to spec, Guy's very high standards and insistence on putting all the finishing touches on the knives himself etc.
That would explain part of it, at least, but still leaves many questions open. Alas, those seem to be questions that really only the Survive! team can answer and everyone else can only speculate about.

Hello W waveone it's cool to hear you have some GSOs that you enjoy.

As far as I've heard I don't think there are plans to revisit cruforge. I think the 4.7s were a kind of trial and now S!K is sticking with 3v and 20cv.

As far as your other questions I'd just email S!K directly. Anything you get here is going to be speculation. There are several threads that will give you an idea of what's been going on since the starter campaign.

Finally- When or will they be producing the CRuForge again?

As far as I've heard I don't think there are plans to revisit cruforge. I think the 4.7s were a kind of trial and now S!K is sticking with 3v and 20cv.

Love my Cru-V 4.7's and unfortunately SN is probably correct in Survive's plans or no plans to revisit. BUT, there is a lot of CRU-V out there waiting with makers to be made into knives. I've bought a few from BF already since acquiring my 4.7's. Maybe my favorite steel at this point for hard use.....Search every time you login for Cru-V and/Or Cruforge V and you might just get lucky.....

To add to what ndmiller said, the cruforge 4.7s seem to be the steel in that model that I've seen for sale and trade most often.

I see CruForge V S!K for sale on the exchange fairly often. Just keep an eye out for one, if you have the time and patience.

As others have mentioned, we have experienced a few issues, leading to delays. I think some of that information gets buried as time passes. So we do have a plan to get that information up on our website, to be more permanent and accessible for folks.

As part of a larger website initiative, we are also working on buttoning down more exact delivery timelines. It sounds easier than it actually is though. You would think it would be: X = #knives shipped per week, I have order number Y, therefore my order will ship in Z # of weeks. In reality, we are currently working on GSO-2.7s, GSO-4.1s, GSO-4.1 Factory 2nds, GSO-7/7s and GSO-7/7 Factory 2nds. So if an order is for the 10th GSO-7/7, it seems like it would be done right away. But if we spend the week on GSO-2.7s and then two weeks on GSO-4.1s... you get the idea. It is also hard to know how many we will be able to get through in a given week since we don't know how much work is going to need to go into a particular order until we get to it. Some handles fit the blade perfectly as is, others need a lot of work. We are working on getting some more solid information together and will try to have something available through our website, asap.

CFV is an awesome steel that has performed beautifully. However, it requires a bit more work to make the knives. We are trying to increase our run sizes, so it really isn't the best option for us right now. If we run CFV again, it will be in a limited number as part of the new GSO Series. Which means it won't be until after all existing GSO orders have been fulfilled.

Thank you Ellie- and on a Sunday no less. Which continues to re inforce my point and perspective that these are good folks.

Too bad about the CruV but essentially what I expected. So we will look for them on the board until something changes I suppose. Unless one of you gents wants to sell one...... Feel free to hit me up:cool: waveone@sbcglobal.net

Otherwise I look forward to hearing about the updates and what's happening with
the 2nd 7/7's as well as for Survive to get back on track. Their 2nds runs are as good or better than some manufacturer's first runs in many cases.

Last edited:
Back