Survivor: Military, Starmate, Police, or Wegner ???

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
If you were stranded on a desert island (without all the CBS camera crews and catered lunch buffets) and could only have one of these Spydercos, which would it be and why?

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

Wegner, without question. Police doesn't have enough belly for skinning, and CPM440V is too prone to chipping.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

Military and a modem.
biggrin.gif

Given the fact that I have zero experience in a survival situation, I'd probably keep my Starmate. It just feels good and seems to be plenty strong. I seem to be one of the extreme minority that doesn't care too much for the Wegner.

My first choice wouldn't be a folder though. Something like a Chris Reeve Project II would be my first choice.

Jon

Ooops!
redface.gif
*hee-hee!* It'll be a Moran featherwieght for me and a Wegner as back-up! Besides, skinning monitor lizards aren't that difficult -- That 'lil island off Borneo's full of it!

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

Definately the Wegner because it is the most versatile of the bunch. Spyderco's best knife to date. This knife can do it all and do it all well!

------------------
Dennis Bible

Originally posted by shootist16:
Definately the Wegner because it is the most versatile of the bunch. Spyderco's best knife to date. This knife can do it all and do it all well!

Well put.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Wegner full size for the skinning ability, also less threatening looking for the other folks. Hide a Police or Military in my shorts in case of surprises.
smile.gif

So... where does the naked guy clip his knife?
ROFLMBO
smile.gif
smile.gif
:>
John

------------------
I've had more paper cuts than cuts from knives, but the knives are QUICKLY gaining!

WEGNER! Great all around knife. Razor sharp belly with a strong tip, plus it's a liner lock. Equally at home while out hunting or for serious "social puposes" around town.

Military. But I think I hear a Wegner in my future.

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail."

I'll think my plain-edge starmate.
But....I think I'll would be wanting a wegner and a military too.
Greetings
red

As much as I like my Military for one of my current daily carrys, I' d have to go with my old Wegner as well. Indeed its blade configuration is more versatile and its extra heft due to its solid thick rear spacer can be a plus when a blunt instrument is needed.

L8r,
Nakano

Originally posted by Nakano 2:
its extra heft due to its solid thick rear spacer can be a plus when a blunt instrument is needed.

Great point, and one that I'd forgotten about. I cringe at the thought of lightening the Wegner.

From this consensus, I'm beginning to get the Wegner itch too. I don't plan on being stranded near Borneo anytime soon, but it's becoming obvious that the Wegner is a good choice if I were. Looks like it's time to start up a new Spyderco fund.

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

Of the four you mentioned, I would go with the Military. I mention that as it is the only one of the bunch I have any experience with and I like the feel of it.
However, I would like to check out the Wegner based on what I have read about it.

Military Plain edge !!

View

jonny

[This message has been edited by jonny (edited 08-25-2000).]

At one time or another I have owned and used all of the above.
I now only own one.
Wegner without a doubt.

------------------
Bill
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

I've owned everyone of the four mentioned and without a doubt, I'ld choose the Wegner everytime. The Wegner will handle just about everything thrown at it short of clearing a trail. The perfect tool, hands down.

Unlike highrent and pse-link, I have only ever used one of these models. Why? Because I bought the Wegner first!
biggrin.gif

Tom

Back