Sven saw

Don't get me wrong, the Sven saw is far better than a small folding saw, but I believe there can be a better "widget" that does the same thing with a little more attention to quality. Maybe not for the same money though. Time will tell. That's all I'm sayin...

Last time we heard something like this... We got the lite machete a year later.... :)

Jeff,

I can "see" your wheels turning. ESEE Saw coming up. :) Gear is as personal as it gets, and one man's garbage is another man's treasure. If you can get Shon to build one, I'm sure he will be at his anal retentive best. ..and I mean that with all due respect and admiration. :)
Haven't tried a Wyoming saw yet. I do have an R & D budget so one may be working it's way to me.

I still like my Svenny and it finds it's way onto my pack more often than a large chopper knife...did I just say that? Don't let Ethan see this...

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Totally agree amigo. Just got in from a camping trip last night. Took the Sven with me and it worked really well cutting up an old dead arm-sized oak for firewood. Also had my Junglas just becasue, well, it's a Junglas and makes me look cooler than Ethan!

I'm on a quest to try out as many pack saws as possible. True, we would like to do one in the future but I'm also working a project on finding some packable, lightweight gear for specific applications.

I keep a 12” bow saw in my vehicle kit. I have room, and it has these advantages:
It accepts hack saw blades. So I can use the saw to cut metal. I store various blades right with the saw.
When you are hypothermic, in shock, have lost blood, or you have just panicked, tool assembly should be simple. It doesn’t get simpler than pre-assembled and ready to use.
I’d like both issues addressed in the ESEE saw. It depends on the emergency, but cutting metal may be necessary. As for assembly that is easy and foolproof, Occam’s Chopper says simpler is better, as long as it does the job.
Would I take that bow saw backpacking? It is small enough fit in my pack. So the answer is, it depends.
That EKA Saw looks promising.

Yo J,
I've been wearing the case out on the Wyoming saw, from the inside-out.
I had to put some cardboard inside the case beside the wood blade because the "teeth" was freyin' up the inside.
If you go that route... lots of nylon(or cardboard).

Last edited:
Listening to some saw reviews today got me back in the saw frame of mind. Jeff, you get that Sawvivor on order yet?

If all else fails and they all turn out to be crappers, at least you can make a DIY bucksaw out of scrap wood and all the blades from the other saws you've tested. :D

Couple variations. I might whip one of these up, I'm sure I have all the stuff in the garage. Don't seem like they'd handle too much hard use and the stronger you make it the bulkier it gets.

FastBuckSaw.jpg

MEN-JJ09-lore_saw.jpg

Last edited:
I got the Sawvivor in.

So far here is where we stand:

Sawvivor - roughly $35.00 – 8.4 ounces - Made in Canada
Sven - roughly $25.00 – 10.6 ounces - Made in USA
Wyoming - roughly $35.00 – 14.2 ounces - Made in USA

So far the Sawvivor is winning this contest with me based on weight/compactability to effective cutting ratio.

Yo J,
I've been wearing the case out on the Wyoming saw, from the inside-out.
I had to put some cardboard inside the case beside the wood blade because the "teeth" was freyin' up the inside.
If you go that route... lots of nylon(or cardboard).

The main reason I don't like the Wyoming is it just doesn't pack good. Great saw but more of a "round the hosue" type of saw for me.

I agree.
When the thing is put together, it's a beast the way it breezes through the wood I've used it on...
But then putting the parts back in just so and putting in my modification(cardboard,{lol}), I could see that being a problem for some folks...

Most the time,
I'll probably just throw the pieces in My backpack, along with some sort of sheath for my saw blades.

...You're about to talk Me into tring one of those Canadian Sawvivors, EH...

The Sawvivor feels cheaply made but when you really look at it it seems more thought and care went into it than on the Sven saw. With all that said, it may not hold up worth a shit. I'm headed back to the mountain survival Galt's Gulch retreat sometime in the next week or two and my buddy and I are going to do some testing on saws.

The Sawvivor feels cheaply made but when you really look at it it seems more thought and care went into it than on the Sven saw. With all that said, it may not hold up worth a shit. I'm headed back to the mountain survival Galt's Gulch retreat sometime in the next week or two and my buddy and I are going to do some testing on saws.

I've heard that a few places. Adds a little weight but I wonder if bolts in place of some of the rivets would make it a little more robust. Tell Ragnar I said hello.

i've been eyeing the sawvivor as well after checking it out at campmor a few weeks back. the squared frame uses the whole blade length as opposed to curved frames and your experience with it confirms that.

I agree.
When the thing is put together, it's a beast the way it breezes through the wood I've used it on...
But then putting the parts back in just so and putting in my modification(cardboard,{lol}), I could see that being a problem for some folks...

Most the time,
I'll probably just throw the pieces in My backpack, along with some sort of sheath for my saw blades.

...You're about to talk Me into tring one of those Canadian Sawvivors, EH...

amazon sells a sawvivor with a nylon sheath.

i've been eyeing the sawvivor as well after checking it out at campmor a few weeks back. the squared frame uses the whole blade length as opposed to curved frames and your experience with it confirms that.

amazon sells a sawvivor with a nylon sheath.

Thanks, I'm going to take a look...

Hell yeah, big goofy pocket on the side for a 30" bowsaw. :thumbup:

Naw look at my new photos. I'm going trying out this "ultralite" thing now. 21 inch bowsaw, 19 inch wetterlings, and the Lite machete.

I think I can work a pocket for that into a pack. I also have some opinions on axe loops. I'd say upwards of 100% of packs with loops are designed for ice axes. I'm willing to bet less than 1% of hikers ever carry ice axes. most of those loops are too short for woods axes or hatchets. They also tend to fall off the back of the head. I'm thinking 2 holes to thread paracord into, so It's replaceable/size adjustable. I'd throw a slide lock in there to cinch down on the head.

back On topic: myself using what I'd consider the most portable, effective saw I've seen.
[youtube]o_GPuq8YQBA[/youtube]

Back