Swallowing smokeless tobacco juice?

Does anyone know if swallowing tobacco juice causes stomach cancer?
Seems like a no brainer really, but I can't find any "studies" or such that say one way or another.

TIA

It'll make you so sick the first time you swallow it that you'll never do it again. One exposure is unlikely to cause cancer.

P.S. If you want to do a study you will have to pay your subjects a large amount of money.

Swallowing it is no problem for me, as that is what I did years ago when I was using it, and I have, for various and poor reasons, started again.

I spit when I am alone and it is convenient/inconspicuous, but for the most part I just swallow it.

I see a few articles that say it might contribute to ulcers, but other than that not much else.

I'm an occasional dipper, and not really concerned with health risks overall, as I eat tons of fried foods, don't religiously excersize, don't purposely stay active for the sake of being active, etc, etc...

Anyway, I just got curious about the possible consequences, and was surprised that I could not google up anything saying one way or another.

Considering that the stuff is in your body longer than if you just spit it, it probably increases your chance of cancer. Of course, doing it at all will probably screw you anyways, so swallowing it probably isn't much worse.

mike_mck2 said:
Swallowing it is no problem for me, as that is what I did years ago when I was using it, and I have, for various and poor reasons, started again.

I spit when I am alone and it is convenient/inconspicuous, but for the most part I just swallow it.

I see a few articles that say it might contribute to ulcers, but other than that not much else.

I'm an occasional dipper, and not really concerned with health risks overall, as I eat tons of fried foods, don't religiously excersize, don't purposely stay active for the sake of being active, etc, etc...

Anyway, I just got curious about the possible consequences, and was surprised that I could not google up anything saying one way or another.

Mike, in your case, with your unhealthy lifestyle, you'll probably be the exception to the rule, and still be posting to these threads when all the rest of us are long gone and dead. I say enjoy the tobacco and swallow if you feel the need to. :)

One of my old work collegues used to chew and would spit into a soda pop can. One day, one of our mangers, a lady, who was very upset about some recent problems came into the lab and got into a heated argument with one of the other engineers. You know what happened. She picked up the wrong can. I was just saying, "MARY, NO! DON'T DR.... ink that..." The reaction was instant. Everything in her stomach was all over the lab in a hundredth of a second. The paramedics said it was not necessary to transport her. They gave her something that stopped the heaving. And that explains the condition of one of the notebooks in a patent case. It also explains why that notebook was filed in a sealed plastic bag and why all of pages in it weren't used (blank pages are a no-no in general). Fortunately, Mary tesified andwe also managed to get a copy of the paramedic's report, so I think the judge will overlook the lapses in notebook procedures.

I'm afraid the habit of swallowing that stuff is so rare that no one has ever done a study. You might want to will your stomach to science....

Good question, I used to take an occasional dip and feel sicker than a dog with just the slightest swallow. Some people can handle it better, such as eating and drinking with a pinch in their mouth with no problems. I have read that it can contribute to mouth cancer, but no mention of stomach problems.

I have seen studies that show that those who chew tobacco have a much higher incidence of cancer of the mouth ! Enjoy!!

That REALLY, REALLY can't be good for you. Nicotine is a DANGER class (the highest rating) insecticide. Very nasty stuff. I don't know about cancer, but you are surely poisoning yourself to some degree.

Jack

I'm sure its not good for you, but its not that rare. After 20 years of dipping, I stopped, although I have a chaw every month or so.

Most of the guys that I used to work with in a furniture factory chewed. We all had boxes filled with sawdust for spitting, but after you spit a few times, you would swallow at least some of the juice. I would suspect that because of what's in your stomach, acid, mucus, etc., that swallowing the juice is less harmful to your stomach than chewing it is to your gums (or setting it on fire and sucking it into your lungs).

I just stopped chewing after 22 years this last December...probably the hardest thing (in my opinion) I have ever done. (I spent three years fishing in alaska including one season in 1988 on a crabber, I spent my hitch in the army, I have been a logger, and in a brief and stupid period of my life 16 yrs ago, I used illicit drugs for about six months or so). There is some research that shows tobacco in general causes stomach cancer http://www.no-smoking.org/oct02/10-11-02-1.html I stopped because of mouth sores and high blood pressure. I have more endurance now than I did before, but, strange as this may sound, I have gained 25lbs, my blood pressure is up, and I have more stomach problems now than I did before I quit.

bigbcustom said:
I just stopped chewing after 22 years this last December...probably the hardest thing (in my opinion) I have ever done. (I spent three years fishing in alaska including one season in 1988 on a crabber, I spent my hitch in the army, I have been a logger, and in a brief and stupid period of my life 16 yrs ago, I used illicit drugs for about six months or so). There is some research that shows tobacco in general causes stomach cancer http://www.no-smoking.org/oct02/10-11-02-1.html I stopped because of mouth sores and high blood pressure. I have more endurance now than I did before, but, strange as this may sound, I have gained 25lbs, my blood pressure is up, and I have more stomach problems now than I did before I quit.

Lots of folks, me included, substituted food for tobacco, whether consciously or subconsciously and gained weight when we quit. Hey, why do you think all those supermodels smoke?

Tanto Fiend said:
Good question, I used to take an occasional dip and feel sicker than a dog with just the slightest swallow. Some people can handle it better, such as eating and drinking with a pinch in their mouth with no problems. I have read that it can contribute to mouth cancer, but no mention of stomach problems.

I used leaf and snuff in earnest for 3 years (college years, worked summers at the local power plant) and I would go through 3-4 bags of leaf and as many cans of snuff a week back then. I never swallowed it on purpose but for a few occasions. I had a buddy at the plant who got me to try mixing my Beechnut wintergreen with a pouch of Big League Chew bubble Gum, said they used to do it in little league to get by the coaches. I would have thought he was screwing with me if he hadn't taken some right along with me and looked like was enjoying an old memory. I can't even stand the smell of any sort of snuff without gagging, but I do still enjoy the occasional pinch out of a bag of Red Man Golden Blend. I can drink and chaw at the same time still so I am sure I still swallow a little of the tobacco juice from time to time.

The one thing I have noticed with using chaw, it clears my sinuses out like crazy. My nose starts running like a faucet and I spend as much time blowing my nose as I do spitting. So when ever I feel stuffed up a chaw does the job. :)

Back