Swamp Rat Proudly Introduces The Free Rein Wakizashi . . .September 21, 2022 At 9:00 PM Eastern

Hell yes!!!

I just wish it was a month ago or a month later because I'm in a strange financial situation right now 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️. I'll definitely buy 1, I just wish I could buy at least 2 😭

Oh well, as my momma taught me when I was a young'in, 1 is a lot better than none!
😆😂🤣

Last edited:
Doood! Yes! I'm so in.

So VooDoo, what properties does ya'lls tinkering on the HT gonna do to this. Legitimately curious.. should we expect this to keep up (maybe exceed) Delta 3V.

Not trying to make this a competition between companies or anything.. but I'd say Nathan and them have established that pretty well. Well enough to ask about comparisons anyway.

Basically is this gonna make it tougher than a standard 3V HT.. or something like better edge retention. What's the lowdown bro?

Last edited:
I would like to see edge stability testing before spending money on SR-3V

Testing first please
Didn't see these at first. I'm also extremely curious on this aspect. I wouldn't say it's "too far" to request a comparison. An honest one. I know damn well they know how it stacks up. No reality where they didn't try to beat it.. or make it comparable imo.

Oh yeah!!!

shock-surprise.gif

Keep in mind, just like any other steel, there are all SORTS of ways to HT 3V, so you can emphasize edge holding against abrasion, against impact, etc. Bussekin tend to emphasize strength against impact, so my own rating would be against abrasive cutting tasks 3V > 101 > INFI (SLIGHTLY on those last two but that’s been my experience, especially when a real knife geometry like 14-15 degrees per side is chosen) and then toughness would be INFI > 3V > 101. If prior experiences hold consistent, 3V will be stronger than INFI (less likely to roll/glint especially at thinner geometries) but actually is capable of chipping, whereas INFI acts like 60HRC rubber, when you finally do hit it hard enough to deform it’s like 303 stainless and just kind of mushes, and waits for you to mush it straight again—still the damndest stuff I’ve ever seen, 20 years on now.

Edit to add: to those complaining that it isn’t super practical, I get you, but keep in mind, if you already have a large chopper and a small slicer (and especially an additional Swiss Army Knife), you literally have no real need to spend money on more knives, so the entire concept of additional “practical” pieces is kind of nonsensical. 😁

Last edited:
In general I’d guess that 3V will offer better toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance. ^^^

SR-101 should be easier to sharpen: reprofiling, removing damage, and in terms of reaching a very fine high sharpness edge. It’s also significantly cheaper.

Edit to add: to those complaining that it isn’t super practical, I get you, but keep in mind, if you already have a large chopper and a small slicer (and especially an additional Swiss Army Knife), you literally have no real need to spend money on more knives, so the entire concept of additional “practical” pieces is kind of nonsensical. 😁
LOL exactly, I bought the last knife I needed ten years ago….

And the last Swamp Rat was a pretty practical small/midsize fixed blade.

Back